Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2011

GOLDENORFE

Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by GOLDENORFE »

Here is one of my fav images of this year, shot at prees heath while shooting silver studded blues.

phil

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This thread is now open :D

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

I am aware that voting is about to begin on the November photo competition which features the Meadow Brown, but on balance can see no good reason to delay this particular thread.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I spent most of this year cursing Meadow Browns. They quickly developed into my least favourite butterfly due to their annoying habit of spooking everything. Just as you're lining up your shot they erupt out of the grass and flap away, turning back to your quarry it too has now disappeared :twisted: . Perhaps that's why I have so few shots of them this year. The first couple in a season are quite enjoyable but then they swiftly become annoying before you suddenly realise that you haven't photographed many so they come back onto the agenda.
This shot was taken on another stolen 20 minutes on the way home. There was field on my way home just outside Amesbury which was hedge to hedge (similar to "wall to wall") Ox Eye Daisies and amongst the skippers and blues there were Ringlets, Marbled Whites and Meadow Brown, the one here included.
083.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I like this one because it breaks the rule: 1 spot = MB, 2 spots = Gatekeeper!
Lough Down, Berks - 2nd September 2011<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Lough Down, Berks - 2nd September 2011
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

One from Susie's guided tour of Southwater on 3rd July. The field contained hundreds of Meadow Browns, of which here are but eight...

Dave
Attachments
Meadow Browns.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I like this photo taken in a clearing in Blean Woods, I didn't think it was a Meadow Brown at first. It was feeding on the flowers of the Blackberries Goldie M :)
Attachments
Meadow Brown BW 28th June 2011 006.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

This is one of my favourite Meadow Brown photos taken this year.
Meadow Brown - Oversley Wood
Meadow Brown - Oversley Wood
It was taken at Oversley Wood when I took my first trip out with the close-up lens fitted to my Panasonic Lumix. I had been trying for a decent upperwing photo without success until I spotted this female. I never did manage to get a decent shot of a male top side.

Cheers,

Neil F.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

My favourite from this year. Despite their ubiquity, I found MBs surprisingly hard to photograph as they seem particularly easily spooked by approaching photographers!

11-Jun-2011, Royston Heath. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5, 1/1000s, f/5.6' iso200
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

this is my favourite. unusually i had to shoot it pointing down as the wings were almost on the horizontal.
mb.jpg
John W

Post by John W »

I have two favourite images of 2011 - the first a freshly emerged almost silky male taken at Southwater Woods on 13th June, and the second was my last butterfly photo of the year - a pristine female taken at Cissbury Ring on October 23rd.
southwater2.jpg
mb1.jpg
daveh

Post by daveh »

There were hundreds of Meadow Browns at Chimney Meadows, Oxon, when I visited it on 10th July. This female sat up very obligingly for a photo.
Attachments
meadowbrown.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

nfreem wrote:...... I never did manage to get a decent shot of a male top side.
I tell lies :wink:

Sorting through my photos I found this one that I liked, taken at Aston Rowant when I went there looking for Silver Spotted Skippers.
Meadow Brown male - Aston Rowant
Meadow Brown male - Aston Rowant
Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Meadow Brown”