Large White - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Large White - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal anecdotes and other interesting points.

Cheers,

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Large White - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Wurzel »

This was taken at Mottisfont in the walled garden on 16th August. It's a cracking National Trust site with large areas of meadow, a surrounding woodland which hold Silver Washed Fritillary (and apparently Duke of Burgundy!? although I haven't visited it yet) but my favourite part is the walled garden. My girls can amuse themselves chasing each other around the borders or splashing in the fountain while I hunt down butterflies that fall just in reach.
002.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I find these (and Small Whites) extraordinarily difficult to photograph. Even getting close is an achievement, and then in bright sunshine they are just too white to show any detail. Nevertheless, here is one from 1st May, again from my local patch. There weren't that many around this year, to be honest.

Dave
Attachments
LW1 resized.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I like this photo taken in my back garden in May , there's more flower than Butterfly but don't they look well together. Roll on Spring Goldie M :)
Attachments
Large White Female BG May 6th 2011 007.JPG
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

From May 29th, pond in background, sun behind, sitting on Yellow Rattle, my only one from 2011...
Backlit Large White
Backlit Large White
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Not many adults seen this year, but I found loads of eggs on a site in Suffolk while on holiday in September. Some of these have assisted in the preparation of my latest species report which is due out in April 2012, which is when I expect the first of the adults to hatch.
Large White ova - Dunwich, Suffolk 5-Sept-11
Large White ova - Dunwich, Suffolk 5-Sept-11
I watched one of these batches being laid. The singleton is a Small White egg.

Vince
John W

Post by John W »

Like millerd I find it difficult to get photographic opportunities for Large and Small Whites. Maybe part of the reason is that one doesn't put quite the same amount of effort into stalking and waiting for a photo opportunity as one would for a Large Blue or High Brown Frit! This was my best of the year, taken at Steyning Rifle Range on August 28th.
lw1.jpg
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

my favourite, despite the head being in shadow was this one on the ever popular Bowles mauve which thanks to this forum is now a must have for my garden.
lw.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I have seen Large Whites on most of my trips out this year as well as passing through my garden but I must admit that I have not been able to take many photos as they usually seemed intent on going somewhere else rather than sticking around and settling for a shot.
The one below is about the best that I managed to get, taken back in April when this individual landed for a brief moment on my Lilac in the back garden. At time I was slowly approaching an Orange Tip that was further up the shrub when the White settled to the side of me. I just had time for the one shot before she was off again.
22.04.11 003 resize.jpg
Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Large White”