multiple species photo challenge

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

multiple species photo challenge

Post by Philzoid »

Chasing butterflies and getting that elusive shot has always been a big part of the fun and challenge of this hobby. Incidentally I think most UKB members are keen to record and inform on the number of species they see in a season or on any particular day. However, what I would like to know is whether anyone has any multiple species shots, (specifically those with three or more) in a single photo frame?

I've attached three photos (poor quality granted) in which each has three different species. The first one would've had four had the Purple Hairstreak not decided to weigh anchor when I was getting my camera ready. Three lycaenids (one from each sub-family) on a single shot ... now that would've been something.

I think multiple species shots are hard to come by so I'm intrigued to see what anyone else may have, the species combinations and also the habitats/environments that they've been found in. I'm sure someone must have a buddleia bush shot that can better 3, or a Chalkland shot for that matter.
Quality of the pictures doesn't matter providing they are identifiable. Get posting.
Gatekeeper, Common Blue, Small Copper (Bookham Commons 2010)
Gatekeeper, Common Blue, Small Copper (Bookham Commons 2010)
Gatekepper, Meadow Brown, Silver-washed Fritillary (Bookham Commons 2011)
Gatekepper, Meadow Brown, Silver-washed Fritillary (Bookham Commons 2011)
Comma, Purple Emperor, Red Admiral (Straits Inclosure 2011)
Comma, Purple Emperor, Red Admiral (Straits Inclosure 2011)
David M

Re: multiple species photo challenge

Post by David M »

Interesting. I have certainly seen 5 species in close proximity on a buddleia (which isn't too difficult), but getting 3 or more of the non-garden species in any single shot where all are clearly identifiable at relatively close range is pretty good going. I can envisage someone posting a pic with 4 but I doubt very much if anyone can produce a photo with 5 upwards.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Is it cheating to stick in a photo from a flowery track in the Pyrenees?

This was taken in 2008 and has 7 species in it:

They're not obvious but are, from left to right: Escher's blue, false heath frit (f. vernetensis), marbled frit, marbled white, purple-shot copper, pearly heath and ilex hairstreak.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Any more photos like that, Guy, and you will earn the epithet "The Annoying Swiss" :lol:

I'm still trying to get a photo showing Common and Adonis Blues together, in order to show off the intensity of the Adonis colour, independent of the saturation setting in Photoshop.

Mike
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

padfield wrote:Is it cheating to stick in a photo from a flowery track in the Pyrenees?
Initially I was going to say UK species only and no Butterfly house photo's, but then I thought, why put limitations, lets see what comes back. Fantastic shot by the way Guy :o :) I had trouble seeing the hairstreak .. but he's there.
millerd

Post by millerd »

OK - a butterfly house shot with four individuals (the one down near West Wittering in Sussex).

No, I haven't a clue what they are...

Dave
Attachments
Four.JPG
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I got this photo of three butterflies together at Speke Hall near Liverpool on 13/9/11.
Attachments
Red admiral, Speckled wood and a Comma.
Red admiral, Speckled wood and a Comma.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Three butterflies (Knapweed Fritillary, Grizzled Skipper and Provence Chalk-hill Blue if my identification is correct) from the Alpes-Maritimes in June 2010:
IMG_1600.JPG
--
Colin
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

millerd wrote:OK - a butterfly house shot with four individuals (the one down near West Wittering in Sussex).
Green one is a Malachite (Siproeta stelenes) Orange banded one is Shoemaker (I think don't remember latin name) and outer one is Common Eggfly or Diadem (Hypolimnas bolina?), The middle one I've no idea.
Reddog wrote:I got this photo of three butterflies together at Speke Hall near Liverpool on 13/9/11.

Nice shot and combination. They turned up a bit late to nectar on the Rosebay willowherb tho :)
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

millerd wrote:No, I haven't a clue what they are...
The green one is Siproeta stelenes - a central and South American Nymphalid. On the right is a female Hypolimnas bolina, a widespread Asian Nymphalid (note the white-spotted body, imitating a Danaid). The remaining two are both Catonephele sp. - probably acontius, from South America.

Guy

EDIT: Philzoid - sorry, I didn't see you'd already posted these IDs!
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Reddog wrote:I got this photo of three butterflies together at Speke Hall near Liverpool on 13/9/11.
I like that one, Reddog. Not often that you see a Red Admiral and a Speckled Wood posing next to each other.

Why do butterflies seem to like that stringy white stuff on Rosebay Willowherb though?
David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:Is it cheating to stick in a photo from a flowery track in the Pyrenees?
Do you really need an answer to that? :o
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've only got a couple of "multiple species photos" :shock: so I'm going to cheat and add in a "multiple forms" photo (good luck finding them both) with my pair of multiple species! :wink:
005 - Copy.JPG
008 - Copy.JPG
101.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:I've only got a couple of "multiple species photos" so I'm going to cheat and add in a "multiple forms" photo (good luck finding them both) with my pair of multiple species!
Marbled Whites and Meadow Brown ..... Chalkhill Blue and Adonis blue ....... Silver washed Fritillary and ...another Silver-washed Fritillary :?
Is that nicely camouflaged green one an underside shot of a valezina? ... I thought that's what a typical SWF looks like :?:
I took this pic at Bookham Commons in 2008. Is that a valezina?
Paired SWF's at Bookham
Paired SWF's at Bookham
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Philzoid wrote:I took this pic at Bookham Commons in 2008. Is that a valezina?
'Fraid not, Phil. You can make out the normal colouring on the forewing upperside.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well, I can find some unusual pairs... However, three different species is much more tricky!

Dave
Attachments
Common Blue and Lulworth Skipper
Common Blue and Lulworth Skipper
Orange Tip and Wood White
Orange Tip and Wood White
White Admiral and Large Skipper
White Admiral and Large Skipper
Brimstone and Gatekeeper
Brimstone and Gatekeeper
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Philzoid wrote: "Is that nicely camouflaged green one an underside shot of a valezina?"

It is a Greenish in the background, but I from that distance how you could have worked that out I'm not sure- I know it was because I was there but as for everyone else... :? Hopefully someone will be able to tell me how to differentiate the forms from that particular view :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's not an ID point, but your picture does illustrate something often said about valezina females - that they prefer the shade.

Intentionally or otherwise, your picture tells a story: the male is zooming around in the sun and poor old valezina is lurking in the gloom. This is sometimes cited as a reason for valezina having less mating success than normal females.

Guy
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks Pete, Wurzel and Guy. You've cleared up that issue nicely :)
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Some great combinations there Dave :o
I particularly like the Orange Tip and Wood White with the Lulworth Skipper and Common Blue a close second :)

Phil

Return to “General”