Over Railway Cutting, Cambridgeshire.

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
markhows

Over Railway Cutting, Cambridgeshire.

Post by markhows »

Over Railway Cutting TL380686, I visited here on Sunday, possibly for the last time, as the disused railway line is due to be concreted over as part of the new guided busway in the region.

My main target was Wall, this being one of the only places in cambridgeshire to see them. 12 were easily seen with lots of common blue and a couple of brown argus as well as the usual whites.

Visit while you can

Mark

Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yes Mark, the only local area where I could see Grizzled Skippers too. There has been some work to clear an area adjacent to the cutting to try to encourage a few butterflies to use that, but chances are they will be lost.
PS: Didn't realise you were from this neck of the woods. Presumably another of your haunts is Devil's Dyke at Newmarket?
markhows

Post by markhows »

Trev Sawyer wrote:Yes Mark, the only local area where I could see Grizzled Skippers too. There has been some work to clear an area adjacent to the cutting to try to encourage a few butterflies to use that, but chances are they will be lost.
PS: Didn't realise you were from this neck of the woods. Presumably another of your haunts is Devil's Dyke at Newmarket?

Indeed, I am local. I have not had much luck with Green Hairstreak at Devils Dyke, but is a great place.
Shame about Over the cambs + Essex butterfly group have done lots of work, but the mitigationland looks like it will need a lot of work to be useful to butterflies.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

The green hairstreaks I've seen there tend to be quite close to the Newmarket July racecourse carpark end. There were HUGE numbers of chalkhill blues there last weekend as well as the odd (new) brown argus.
Added highlight was that my daughter got to see the end of a couple of horseraces from the same vantage point :lol:

Trev
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

....and if you are up on the Devils Dyke in June, don't forget the wonderful display of lizard orchids that can be seen there!
Cheers Alex

Return to “Sites”