The most unreachable British species is...

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
The Annoying Czech

The most unreachable British species is...

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Guys, I'll start wide.

Since I can download the various studies, I find chasing & snapping several critically endangered (red listed, Natura 2000 included... take your pick, please) surprisingly easy. Having axis (or contacts), Large Blue took me only minutes, Scotch Argus took me some hours. Etc etc. I almost forgot that I snapped Niobe Fritillary by accident :D

In other words, knowing the exact location, many "ready to grave" species just doesn't look rare. I'm not melodramatic: Scotch Argus survives in the last valley in the whole Moravia and the present climate is very harsh on him anyway. I've heard he prefers there very early mornings and even the mild rain. Well, this is not Scotland.

Then I asked myself: that's very nice, but why on earth many ABUNDANT species slipped me off? I guess because there is no direct correlation between abundance and photo-availability. I chased so-called common Small Copper till August. I've got only one fair snap of Holly Blue. That's right - no correlation.

If/when I focus on last unseen (not snapped) abundant species, I'll make them even quickier (especially providing that they are living near by). So I thought over REALLY challenging species. I myself have two conclusions about really problematic butterflies to snap:
a) a less common tree-top species, typically Hairstreaks, eg. Sloe Hairstreak, or very widespread but scarce species
b) endangered species difficult of finding biotopes and coordinates

There is a certain butterfly called Violet Copper. Last Czech biotope lies quite far from my home, two generations per year, and no axis yet found. One of the Europe's rarest, great looking, last remnants are totally cut off. the Now THIS looks challenging! This is it! I guess people can't fully enjoy something which is undoubtedly nice, but took only a few hours of planning & few minutes of searching the former sheep pasture :)

So, what's the most hidden British species for you? Is there possibly a species that hasn't been snapped & posted here, lets say, during the whole season? What's your Violet Copper...? Drop the rare migrants.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: The most unreachable British species is...

Post by Pete Eeles »

The most difficult, by far, is Mountain Ringlet. It lives in remote (and typically difficult-to-access) areas, has a relatively-short flight period, and only flies in good weather (a rare occurrence in itself in northern England and Scotland!). So that would get my vote.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Have to say, both Painted Lady and Clouded Yellow have been rather few and far between for me these past 2 years. But the real tricksters are those Isle of Wight Large Tortoiseshells. Did anybody ever find any larva in the end???

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I know what you mean about some 'rare' species being surprisingly easy to find, because they are well-documented. It is simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time. There is something almost surreal about being in a place like East Blean Woods, Kent and being surrounded, almost as a mono-culture, by Heath Fritillaries.

Because I live in Southern England, the Northern species are the most difficult, needing long journeys against uncertain weather forecasts. The Chequered Skipper, which flies at several sites near Fort William in Scotland, eluded me for many years and then turned up right alongside my car, when we stopped for a break after the long drive North!

Several common species are under-photographed - for example, Large and Small Whites present exposure problems, because of their whiteness, and are considered too common to bother! There aren't as many as there used to be, however, and they are not well-recorded.

Mike
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Thanks for the comments.

Pete, AFAIK, Mountain Ringlet has a very strong populations in a certain (high) parts of some mountains of the Central Europe, and they are evidently "portable" from place to place (one of the Czech populations was set by a certain "butterfly fanatic" many years ago). I wanted to pay a visit, but - as you partly mention - it was a bit late.

Gibster, I personally met ONE Large Tortioseshell in 2011 although I'm very active from April! It's generally overlooked butterfly, I guess rather rare in the whole Europe, and red listed in Germany...

Mike, I have those Skippers right behind the house :D It's not the most beautiful place to go for a walk, but they're there and they are doing fine. It's such an interesting point with the Whites, I myself hold them over to late October! :)

I think Danube Clouded Yellow might be European's most problematic species - due to habitat, area loss, and horrifying identification. Even for the lepidopterologists.

P.S. it's not relevant, but the most reachable GB species for me is Gatekeeper (with area border in eastern Germany and western Poland, which is so faaaaaar...)
David M

Post by David M »

White Letter Hairstreaks can be frustrating. Even if you know they're present, it's seldom that you get a good, close-up view.

For me, Purple Emperors continue to be elusive. I've been to several places where they exist but have yet to see any.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

In terms of 'common species' and not getting a good photo, the Purple Hairstreak has proved elusive for me this year. I've seen some close-up, yes, but they've normally been well past their prime. And the good ones I've often seen from a distance with, say a 500mm lens. They've been some great photos on this site this year of perfect Purple Hairstreaks, but a new, fresh specimen is sometimes a matter of luck, eh? That's what I like to think, anyway :|

For next year I hope that I will get to see the Chequered Skipper, Mountain Ringlet, Large Heath and Northern Brown Argus. Apart from Reals' Wood White (plus the new Wood White!) they're the only British Species I've yet to see. But yes, all those first 4 tend to be Scotland or the far North.

Perhaps I should take up tiddlywinks instead :roll: .

Michael
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Michaeljf wrote:Apart from Reals' Wood White (plus the new Wood White!) they're the only British Species I've yet to see.

Michael
The good news is that the recent update means that Real's Wood White doesn't occur in the British Isles. So you only have the Cryptic Wood White to find!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Pete Eeles wrote:

The good news is that the recent update means that Real's Wood White doesn't occur in the British Isles.
So, Unreal's Wood White then?

Return to “Photography”