Adonis Blues at Rodborough Common, Stroud

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Glostopcat

Adonis Blues at Rodborough Common, Stroud

Post by Glostopcat »

Afternoon all, I'm hoping to visit Rodborough and Bownham Common near Stroud, Glos early next week to see Adonis blues. Does anyone on here know the best areas to find them as Rodborough Common is a large area. Any information would be much appreciated, many thanks, Ed
m_galathea

Re: Adonis Blues at Rodborough Common, Stroud

Post by m_galathea »

Hi Ed,

Adonis Blues require chalk grassland with warm soil - the steep sides of the common should be best. When you are there, think about which direction the wind is blowing and have a look in the most sheltered, but sunny positions.

Good luck!

Alexander
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I have been there today.

Find your way to the Ice Cream Factory and carry on past it down the narrow lane. when you emerge from the trees take the right hand fork along the top. This will take you along the top of Swellshill Bank where you can park your car. Walk down the bank and look anywhere along there.

The weather was a bit mixed for me with a couple of heavy showers but also some nice sun later in the afternoon.

I saw a few nice Adonis Males a few mostly faded Chalkhill Blues, and a few Common Blues. Also Meadow Browns, Small Heath and a rather tatty Small Copper. I also had a rapid flypast of what looked like a Dark Green Fritillary.
There were also a few females of either Chalkhill or Adonis Blue...I need to check my photos on these as I am not that good at the differences.

I should be posting photos on my diary later whenI have sorted through them.

Hope this helps.

Neil F.
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Many thanks to you both for the information and for replying so quickly, it looks like Swelshill Bank will be the best place then, I've been there before to see the chalkhill blues. The weather looks set fair early next week so I hope to make it there on either Tuesday or Wednesday

Return to “Sites”