Small Blue

Discussion forum for sightings.
RobS

Small Blue

Post by RobS »

Ive worked in Maidenhead for the last 24 years and have visited Maidenhead Thicket numerous times through work(usually small fires in the woods).im a firefighter,not an arsonist !! :D .Travelling back from a medical in Reading today i had half an hour to kill until i was expected back so i decided to visit the site to see if there where any butterflies about.Initially it was overcast as i wandered through the meadows and i noticed only a few meadow browns and some tatty looking gatekeepers.Turning back towards the car park the sun made an appearance and i noticed a few more species flying in and around the wild flowers.A lovely Holly blue landed close to me and allowed me to study it in detail,as did a small copper and a common blue.For the second time in a week i saw a Brown Argus,a stunning example too,displaying itself to the sun,without a care in the world.Nearly back at the car park,and pleased with my 30 mins in the field,i noticed a recent dog poo,and as i stepped around it i noticed a small butterfly sitting on top.On closer inspection,and this must have looked strange to any passing drivers,i realised it could be a Small Blue.much smaller than the Holly blue id recently seen,but with similar underwing markings,the upperside was nearly black in colour.It was joined by its female mate soon after who circled it and landed near but not actually landing on the faeces.She was more of a dark brown colour and not quite as trusting as the male who never left his spot.She would occasionally fly off,do a small circuit and land back at her original position.
Despite their position on and near the dog poo i got very close and had a great look at these small and delicate butterflys.A man,in a field, on all fours with his head near the ground is im sure, not a site many dog walkers have experienced..or would want to again probably,but i was in my element as i looked at these uncommon(i think?) creatures.
So yeah,im a beginner at butterfly identification,but im 100% certain that these were Small Blues.Are they rare at all? has anyone else seen these in the Maidenhead area? Im certainly a very happy bunny.If anyone wants the precise area i found them pm me and ill do my best to describe.

cheers
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Matsukaze

Re: Small Blue

Post by Matsukaze »

The foodplant, kidney vetch, is normally found on calcareous ground. Maidenhead is not too far away from the chalk, and the odd individual does wander. They are prone to breeding in the strangest of places, such as docks and car parks, if conditions are right.
RobS

Re: Small Blue

Post by RobS »

thanks matsukaze,for the info.
i returned to the thicket earlier this week and again found my small blue friend.not as pristine as last time and about 15m from where i had seen him before(assuming that this was the same individual).this small corner of the huge area that is maidenhead thicket contains a large amount of wild flowers and certainly a respectable amount of butterfly activity(common blue,holly blue,brown argus,meadow brown,gatekeeper and of course small blue).i was only there for an hour this time and look forward to seeing what spring turns up at this site.

cheers
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.

Return to “Sightings”