ID PLEASE

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Brian Anderson

ID PLEASE

Post by Brian Anderson »

Can anybody help tell me what i've seen?
Out taking pictures of Chalkhill Blues and found this smaller blue but not sure what it is. I've checked on line but remain unsure.
Attachments
Butterfly 6a.JPG
Butterfly 6a.JPG (28.59 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Neil Hulme

Re: ID PLEASE

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Brian,
It's a Chalkhill Blue.... just a bit battered!
Neil
Brian Anderson

Post by Brian Anderson »

I thought it looked like that too but i'm new to this game and it was so much smaller than the other Chalkhills it had me thinking it must be something else. Thanks for the reply though
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Brian,
Butterflies can be surprisingly variable in size. Last week I saw a Gatekeeper no larger than a Small Heath. Small Blues can be so tiny that they will amaze you .... others are the size of a Common Blue. But most individuals will fall within the average size range cited in textbooks.
Neil
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

Hi. Not had much time to visit the site lately - I've been spending much of my free time out photographing butterflies! July 24th was a great day in my back garden - I saw more species in an hour or so than in the whole of 2010. Red Admirals seem to be astonishingly high in number this year! Anyhow, I need help with a few things (sorry, I'm not sure how to start a fresh thread) at least one of which dates back to late June. Thank you to everyone in advance!

Max.
Attachments
Ashlawn Cutting again. I'm optimistic that this is a Brown Argus and not a female Common Blue. Can anyone verify this? Thanks!
Ashlawn Cutting again. I'm optimistic that this is a Brown Argus and not a female Common Blue. Can anyone verify this? Thanks!
I'm fairly sure this is a tatty male Meadow Brown at Ashlawn Cutting. Can anyone confirm - species, not location!
I'm fairly sure this is a tatty male Meadow Brown at Ashlawn Cutting. Can anyone confirm - species, not location!
Tired female Skipper at Ashlawn Cutting. Larger than a Small. Smaller than a Large. Could it be a new Medium Skipper species?
Tired female Skipper at Ashlawn Cutting. Larger than a Small. Smaller than a Large. Could it be a new Medium Skipper species?
Moth at Ashlawn Cutting. Attempts at identification have drawn a blank. Any ideas, anyone?
Moth at Ashlawn Cutting. Attempts at identification have drawn a blank. Any ideas, anyone?
This caterpillar successfully crossed Barby Road in Rugby. But what is it? There were plenty of Ringlets around at the time. So is it one?
This caterpillar successfully crossed Barby Road in Rugby. But what is it? There were plenty of Ringlets around at the time. So is it one?
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Max

Female Brown Argus by the looks of it. I'm almost certain. An underside shot confirming whether it has a cell spot or not would be 100%.

Looks like a very worn Meadow Brown. Only other possibility would be Gatekeeper as there is a hint of a sex brand showing but Meadow Brown most likely given its age.

The skipper looks like a female Small Skipper as there is a hint off buff to the underside of the antennae and females are slkightly larger than males.

Not sure on the moth or caterpillar.
Cheers Paul

Post by JKT »

I'd guess Scotopteryx chenopodiata for the moth. It doesn't look quite typical, but I can't think of anything else either.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The caterpillar looks a bit like a sawfly larva to me - there's a suspicion of some "extra" false legs there.

Dave
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

It definitely wasn't Sawfly larvae - they tend to be much smaller and greener in colour. This caterpillar was at least an inch long, maybe longer. But thank you to everyone who has responded so far!

Max.

Return to “Identification”