Springwatch 2011 (Wednesday 1st June)

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Michaeljf

Springwatch 2011 (Wednesday 1st June)

Post by Michaeljf »

Don't shoot me if it doesn't amount to much :oops: but Springwatch on Wednesday this week (June 1st) will be reporting on how this years butterflies have been doing in the warm spring.

It's on at 7:30 pm tomorrow rather than the usual start time of 8:00pm. Just don't blame me if it's a short segment :wink:

Michael
David M

Re: Springwatch 2011 (Wednesday 1st June)

Post by David M »

Bit 'passé' now, since the warm spring (at least in Wales) has given rise to a seriously cool and damp interlude.

I'm sure Pearl Bordered Fritillaries, Wood Whites and Grizzled Skippers have positively revelled in the conditions, but it should be taken in context - these things happen occasionally and long term they don't mean very much.

Still, thanks for flagging it up. I'll watch with interest tomorrow.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David M wrote:Bit 'passé' now, since the warm spring (at least in Wales) has given rise to a seriously cool and damp interlude.
But as you said yourself David, the next bit of hot weather is due to hit us by the end of the week. No doubt leaving us 'obsessives' (let's not beat about the bush!) to be scrambling around the countryside hither-and-thither on our days off work to try and see as much as possible! :)
Michael

p.s. Today I saw my first nests of Peacock caterpillars for the year, plus my first 'Silver Y' moth, and a fully-grown Lappet Moth Caterpillar.
millerd

Post by millerd »

It will be interesting to see what the Met Office report for May will contain. A big contrast between different parts of the country, I suspect. Here just west of London, there have been very few days when the maximum temperature has not reached 17 degrees, and though it's been more unsettled lately, rainfall cannot have amounted to much overall.

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

I do believe Mr Packham has a red admiral wing patten on his t shirt tonight.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Nice bit of spotting there Susie - I didn't see it clearly until you mentioned it :mrgreen:

I thought the article yesterday (with two interviews) was good. I know quite a bit of the footage was from the programme earlier this year, but still nice to see. Especially the Purple Emperor with it's lovely yellow proboscis... :)

Michael
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Mr. Packham still seems to be playing his usual game of inserting song lyrics into his narrative. :roll:

The few times I've noticed it, there's been no reaction at all from Ms. Humble. Either she's not noticing the contrivedness of Packham's syntax or she's been forewarned and is keeping a straight face.

Paul
Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh, I'm sure she knows and is just keeping a straight face.

I've only watched one springwatch so far, but the body language between her and Mr P was completely different from last series.
Susie

Post by Susie »

If anyone liked Chris Packham's red admiral t shirt you can download the design for free from his website.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”