Butterflies in Somerset and Bristol

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Rogerdodge

Butterflies in Somerset and Bristol

Post by Rogerdodge »

Example of Species Account
Example of Species Account
Cover
Cover
I have just received my copy of-
Butterflies in Somerset & Bristol.
I was lucky enough to get the last of the first print run. I understand another print run is now being ordered.
It has been created by the Somerset branch of Butterfly Conservation, and is a very professional work.
If you have an interest in butterflies, and ever plan to visit Somerset, it is a “must have” book.
In a large, A4, format, and running to over 80 pages with excellent illustrations, photographs and diagrams it is a very informative tome.
After a discussion on butterfly abundance, there are species accounts for the 45 Somerset species.
The Species Account page has a large distribution map – with definition to 2k squares, population trend graphs, a few good photographs, and a brief population trend write up, with other life cycle or ecological information. There are also details of the location of the best sites to see the species.
There is also an informative section on Geology and Butterflies.
This is followed by an excellent, eight page, article on places of butterfly interest in Somerset. This had me reaching for my OS maps, and marking out a few places to visit that I had previously not heard of. Reason alone for buying this book!
There is also a section with very detailed phenograms.
Mine cost me £10.00 plus £3.20 p&p.
I don't know if this will be the same price for the reprint - but you should contact Alan Hold alan.hold@btinternet.com if you are interested.
A worthy book, and a good addition to any Lepidopterists bookshelves.
Cheers

Roger
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Butterflies in Somerset and Bristol

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks for posting this Roger.

My mum lives in Somerset and we go there a few times each year, so I'll definitely be buying a copy.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”