Manfrotto joystick tripod head

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Ian Pratt

Manfrotto joystick tripod head

Post by Ian Pratt »

I noticed at the recent butterfly photography workshop that several people had a Manfrotto joystick tripod head. Is the light weight 324RC2 sufficient for a DSLR and macro lens or should I consider the heavy weight 327RC2? Thanks in anticiaption.:)
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Manfrotto joystick tripod head

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Ian,
I had such a quandry a while back and asked about the various Manfrotto grip heads...

see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4923&hilit=324rc2

In the end I bought the 324RC2 and have been very happy with it so far. The weight of my butterfly set-up (Canon 40D with Sigma 150mm lens) is fine and I have also used it with a heavier lens (Canon 100-400mm) - again seems fine - Manfrotto's suggested maximum weight is 3.5kg for the 324RC2, but I'm sure you could go a little over that. My main worry was that the 324RC2 could not be swapped around to enable it to be used in either hand. This hasn't been as much of an issue as I had anticipated (hopefully you can understand why I wanted to be able to do this from the aforementioned thread), but I think that the 327RC2 may be able to be swapped around. As suggested, as far as the actual feel in your hand is concerned and how easy the trigger is to operate with each model, you should have a squint at one in a shop before you buy.

Trev

Return to “Photography”