This Weekend - Help Required

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Lawts

This Weekend - Help Required

Post by Lawts »

The following is subject to the weather of course.

I need your help.

I need the following butterflies, which I believe are flying somewhere now:-

Wood White
Small Blue
Adonis Blue
Marsh Fritillary
Duke of Burgundy

How should I spend the weekend allowing for one overnight stay?

Options:-

1) Dorset area - Marsh Frit, Duke - Cerne Abbas, and Adonis Blue, (may be low numbers and don't know where to look) plus Small Blue (may be low numbers and don't know where to look) Durlston

2) Hereford and Wales - Wood White, Woolhope and Small Blue (don't know where to look) Kenfig

3) Surrey - Wood White Oaken Wood, and then over for the Duke at Noar Hill

I'm after dead certs. and also conscious that I plan to be back down to Dorset for Glanville F. in a few weeks.

I don't know if there are any hidden gems that would sway it, e.g. Wood White site in Dorset.

Thanks.

Steve.
David M

Re: This Weekend - Help Required

Post by David M »

PBF and Wood White you'll definitely see at Haugh Wood, whilst Jack Harrison has posted reports that there are decent numbers at Ewyas Harold Common, which is between Hereford and Abergavenny.

Small Blues are all over Kenfig Dunes. Just descend into the sheltered craters and you'll see plenty.

Marsh Fritillaries are now out I believe, and there is a strong colony at Aberbargoed Grasslands which is not too far from Merthyr Tydfil (though they may well not be out yet at this site).

Nearest place to Wales I know of for Adonis Blue is West Yatton Down, which is on the north western tip of Wiltshire near Chippenham.
Lawts

Re: This Weekend - Help Required

Post by Lawts »

Thanks Dave.

Return to “Sites”