A Master of Disguise.

Zonda

A Master of Disguise.

Post by Zonda »

This is not a particularly great pic of a Green Hairstreak, but it does illustrate how this butterfly has evolved to resemble a new bramble leaf. Note the shine of a new leaf, bright green colouration, thorny brown edge, complete with thorn-like spikes. I think that this butterfly can alter the position of its wings to reflect the particular green around its position, thus making itself almost invisible. I observed this individual landing, and kept a keen eye on it. However, from 4 to 6 feet away, it was invisible, even to me.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Master of Disguise.

Post by Padfield »

So maybe they've been right in front of your eyes all these years, Zonda! :wink:

Interesting, isn't it. They are so well camouflaged and yet they zoom out attacking anything that comes past, almost actively drawing attention to themselves... Proud, brave little creatures!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Zonda

Re: A Master of Disguise.

Post by Zonda »

So maybe they've been right in front of your eyes all these years, Zonda! :wink:
Almost certainly have Guy. I have always looked at the natural world around me, and i have always been astounded by it's beauty. From fungi, and to birds, to butterflies as well. I have always been interested enough to notice. When i was sitting on the slopes of the Cerne Giant today, there were loads of families about. Only one man asked me what i was photographing. He just couldn't see. I told him that there were this species and that species, just in this small area. He walked on, wife and kids in tow. Just as i might have walked on,,, two years ago. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “General”