Grizzled Skipper in North Wales

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
selbypaul

Grizzled Skipper in North Wales

Post by selbypaul »

Hi there
I keep noticing that others are seeing Grizzled Skippers down south, and everything seems pretty early this year. Does anyone know if the Grizzled Skippers have emerged yet at their North Wales site near the Calypso factory in Wrexham?
Paul
selbypaul

Re: Grizzled Skipper in North Wales

Post by selbypaul »

Made a first visit to the Calypso site the day after my last post in this topic in April. Sadly, despite gorgeous weather that day, no Grizzled Skippers. Must have been a few days too early. Did hear three Grasshopper Warblers though, indicating just how wonderful this threatened brownfield site is.

Made the return visit to this site again yesterday. Weather was very windy, with rain threatening, but thankfully managed to see two Grizzled Skippers. Even managed to photo one that landed on my hand. Great stuff
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

sorry just found this post
Glad you found them :) , it is a great place one of my fav sites and the only place that I have seen grizzleds
, they do only fly when the sun is out
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hi LC Pete.
Glad you're another fan of the site. Don't suppose you know whether the site is still under threat? Or is it secure for now?
Paul
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Hi Paul :D
there was a plan to build a prison on the site but that seems to have gone quiet, I was worried about that
I have asked the council wildlife warden and there are no specific plans to develop the site but that could change :(

There was another local site for Grizzleds but that was developed and is now a recycling site . They did carry out mitigation which involved making 3 ponds and getting Chester zoo to reintroduce Grizzleds back into the site but I have never seen them there , the habitat there now is no longer suitable in my opinion :(
Pete
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hi Pete
That's really sad about the other site. I really hope the Calypso site survives. It really is quite special. Given there are so few Grizzled Skipper sites in the north of the UK, this really is the sort of site that Butterfly Conservation should consider purchasing and saving.
Paul
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

Hi Paul
It would certainly be brilliant if BC did purchase the site so that it could be safe for the future
As far as I know the council own the site it would be nice if they turned it into a nature reserve it would not even cost them anything
I did suggest this to the council wldlife officer but apparently they just see it as waste ground :(
Pete

Return to “Sites”