Hübner's Clouded Yellow?

Mikhail

Hübner's Clouded Yellow?

Post by Mikhail »

388px-Jacob_huebner_s15.jpg
Most of us are probably familiar with the story of how Berger's Clouded Yellow came to be recognised as a good species following the discovery of its distinctive larva. It always struck me as extraordinary that this striking caterpillar had to wait until the mid-twentieth century for recognition. Well, I have reason to believe that it was known and figured in an entomological work as long ago as the late 18th or at the latest early 19th century, but under the name of the Pale Clouded Yellow.

One of the first books on butterflies that I was given was "Butterflies of the British Isles" by Richard South. As well as colour plates of the adults, this book contains black and white reproductions of illustrations of the larvae. Opposite page 50 is a plate purporting to depict the larva of the Pale Clouded Yellow. Now I must admit that decades passed before I noticed that something was wrong with this illustration. It shows a spray of Horseshoe Vetch with a caterpillar that has pale lateral and dorso-lateral lines and numerous black spots. In other words it is plainly not the Pale Clouded Yellow, but what we now know as Berger's Clouded Yellow. At the foot of the plate are the words " After Hübner". Hübner will be a familiar authorial name to anyone who uses the scientific names of lepidoptera, but is it the same man, I wanted to know.

One day, at least 15 years ago, while browsing among the book stalls outside the National Film Theatre in London, I discovered a slim volume entitled: Das kleine Schmetterlingsbuch. It has an introductory text by one Friedrich Schnack, which speaks of the "last elves and sylphs of the meadows and woods", but also contains sound information on the basic biology of butterflies. However, what made me part with £1.50 were the reproductions of 24 hand-coloured engravings, depicting 50 species of European butterflies, by Jacob Hübner. Hübner was born in Augsburg on 20th June 1761 and died there on 13th September 1826. For his day job he worked as a designer or pattern drawer (Musterzeichner) for an Augsburg cotton weaving mill. He seems to have found time to travel widely and to publish major works containing descriptions of species new to science, as well as illustrating many species with his fine engravings. One source claims that he illustrated 3600 species of butterflies and moths. The plates in my slim volume are taken from his Sammlung europäischer Schmetterlinge. Another major work of his is Geschichte europäischer Schmetterlinge, and I suppose that this contains the original of the plate in South.

So there we have it. Hübner evidently depicted the larva of Berger's Clouded Yellow under the impression that it was the Pale Clouded Yellow. Perhaps Berger's Clouded Yellow was the commoner species in his part of Germany, or perhaps he had seen the larva of the Pale Clouded Yellow and failed to distinguish it from the Clouded Yellow, which it closely resembles.

There has been some doubt over the valid scientific name of Berger's Clouded Yellow. For some time it was known as C.australis Verity 1911, but it was found that the name C.alfacariensis Ribbe 1905 had priority. Of course both these gentlemen thought they were describing sub-species of C.hyale. I recently learnt that three other authors have applied valid names to this species that pre-date Ribbe. They are: C.meridionalis Krulikowsky 1903, C.alba Rühl 1893 and oldest of all, C.sareptensis Alphéraky 1875. According to the rules this last name should be adopted in place of alfacariensis, but in June 2006 an application was made to the ICZN proposing " the conservation of the specific name by giving it precedence over three little know senior subjective synonyms". The ICZN delivered its opinion 2180 in September 2007 to that effect, so we do not need to get used to a new name.

I attach a sample plate of Hübner's that appears in Das kleine Schmetterlingsbuch.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hübner's Clouded Yellow?

Post by Padfield »

Fascinating.

It's not directly relevant to your point, but I believe the specimens of hyale adults figured in South are also alfacariensis. My copy is in England so I can't check up plate numbers or confirm this, but it's a bit of trivia I've carried around for a long time. I can't remember where I read it and I don't think I've ever checked.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I had thought that the specimens illustrated in South might be alfacariensis, but couldn't make up my mind. None of the characters usually quoted are entirely reliable, not even wing shape. I heard of a specimen belonging to R.F.Bretherton that had been re-identified several times, so difficult was it. Genitalia and chromosomes don't help either.

Misha
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

In my copy of British Butterflies by W S Coleman 1893, it describes the Colias hyale larva as “of a sea-green colour, with four yellow lines, two along the back and one on each side… feeding on lucerne and other plants of the same natural order.”

The description seems to fit alfacariensis much more than hyale, but the larval hostplant Medicago sativa (lucerne) is that of hyale, whereas alfacariensis uses Hippocrepis comosa (horseshoe vetch). This rather suggests the alfacariensis larva was known even then (54 years before the recognition of alfacariensis as a separate species) and that the author never actually saw the larva in the wild. Maybe the original observer saw hyale egg-laying on M. sativa but never actually bred the larva to imago. But this does not explain why no-one spotted that the larva described (assuming it to be alfacariensis) was not on M. sativa.

The Coleman illustration of the upperside of hyale appears to be hyale from the black markings and wing shape and (I think) the colour of the uph discal spot. In this book, Clouded Yellow is Colias Edusa (both names capitalised).

In Higgins & Riley 1970, hyale is known as C. hyale Linnaeus 1758 and alfacariensis is known as C. australis Verity 1911.

One final puzzle: lucerne is known as alfalfa in the US. Is there any significance in the “alfa” connection (or mis-connection) with alfacariensis? As is usual in butterfly-land, there are more questions than answers.

Anyone else remember Alfalfa in The Little Rascals on TV in the early 50s?
alfalfa1.jpg
alfalfa1.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Roger
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I can't see a sensible Latin etymology of alfacariensis, so my (un)educated guess is that it's toponymic, meaning 'from Alfacar', a town in Andalucía ('~ensis' being a genitive ending).

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Roger Gibbons wrote:One final puzzle: lucerne is known as alfalfa in the US. Is there any significance in the “alfa” connection (or mis-connection) with alfacariensis? As is usual in butterfly-land, there are more questions than answers.
Well done Padders!

From "The Scientific Names of the British Lepidoptera" by Maitland Emmet:

"alfacariensis, Berger, 1948 - belonging to Alfacar, a town in southern Spain which was the type locality of the original specimens described by Ribbe in 1905 as belonging to a form of [hyale]".

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “General”