Sponsored "Big Day" Racing?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Gibster

Sponsored "Big Day" Racing?

Post by Gibster »

Now that I've officially turned to The Dark Side (I hardly ever go birding nowadays, I'm but a shadow of my former twitcher self), I have a butterfly orientated question borrowed from the birding scene.

Do folks ever undertake sponsored butterfly races?

In birding circles the rules are simple. Generally its four guys to a team, one being the official daylist recorder. The aim is to see or hear as many species of wild bird species in a 24-hour period (traditionally midnight to midnight) and see if you can beat other teams in a (supposedly) friendly contest. The winning team is that with the highest total. The real winners are the charities the funds are raised for.

Variations on the theme can include restrictions such as all species have to be within a chosen tetrad, or patch, or county, or seen by bicycle, or 100% self-found (no twitching) etc etc.

Obviously the rules may need to be altered for butterflies. It's probably fairly pointless spending time in the field anytime before dawn or after dusk. Unless you're really sneaky and decide to include night-feeding caterpillars?!? And are eggs admissable?

Anyway, it was just a thought. Doubtless brought about by too many hours of darkness and a complete lack of butterflies for the past month. Psychids and Winter Moths just aren't cutting it anymore. :lol:

All the very best

Gibster.

PS - Sponsored bird races often tend to attract the slightly more youthful (hence crazier?) generation. Maybe those less inclined towards 'boring' tetrad work? How do butterfly folk feel?
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sponsored "Big Day" Racing?

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Gibster,
See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=120 August 9th posting. Lots of fun - and I cunningly marked a few yet-to-wake-up butterflies before the clock started. :D
Neil
Matsukaze

Re: Sponsored "Big Day" Racing?

Post by Matsukaze »

Anyway, it was just a thought. Doubtless brought about by too many hours of darkness and a complete lack of butterflies for the past month. Psychids and Winter Moths just aren't cutting it anymore.
Unfortunately it gets worse before it gets better - there are very few moths on the wing in January and February.

Another option is to look for the early stages, finding sites to come back to and look at the adults later in the year. The problem is the lack of daylight hours in which to do it - is it practical to look for hairstreak eggs and Purple Emperor larvae by torchlight? Has anyone ever tried?

Return to “General”