Big Frits and a Big Fritz...!

Discussion forum for sightings.
Piers

Big Frits and a Big Fritz...!

Post by Piers »

I stopped off at a little-visited South Wilts wood this morning on my way to work. SW Frits were plentiful in the extreme, and good numbers of valezina too, especially on the shaded side of the ride. Lots of pairs today too, I love watching the copulating males cary their lazy spouses around the woods behind them, stopping to nectar on bramble or thistle on route. I am not so certain that my better half would look so favourably on me if I began tucking into a plate of kidneys half way through; but it seems to work for Mr. and Mrs. SW Fritillary.

Later in the morning I bumped into two very respectable middle aged ladies who had been on a long walk, and we began chatting about the butterflies that were all around us. One of the pair seemed jittery, but I thought nothing of it. It was only after she was prompted by her friend a little later in the conversation that she proclaimed to have just seen a 'big cat'. :shock:

I enquired further, and the lady told me that an "very large, dark cat" had just crossed the ride in front of her, further up on the wooded hill side. She described it as large, dark, with a round tail as long as it's body; definately a cat, walked in a feline manner; and certainly not a dog. She was adamant about this last part. I began quizzing her about the sighting but she was having none of it, "don't try to tell me it was a deer, or a fox, or a badger, I have lived in the countryside for long enough to know what all those look like, and what I saw was a large cat".

We parted company. I was agog at the thought of a huge predatory feline stalking the woods and scrubby downland and must confess that I was bristling with every rustle and noise that came from the woodland around me. It was probably half an hour later that I was walking along a broad ride when I heard something hurtling at speed down one of the smaller rides that lead off to the side. It was a fallow deer, going like the clappers and bellowing like 'Brutus' from BBC's Autumn Watch. The animal came charging around the corner, almost knocked me off my feet, bellowing like Brian Blessed and was off through the woods. It was one spooked deer! and one spooked Felix...! :shock: :shock:

That was it for me; all of a sudden I decided that I was terribly late for work. Hasty exit stage left. :oops:

Felix.
lee3764

Re: Big Frits and a Big Fritz...!

Post by lee3764 »

Great story Felix!!!!!!!
I would love to have just seen the S.W.Frits though!!! :P
Cheers,
Lee (Cornwall).
P.S. Maybe if you carried a net you could have caught the 'Big Cat'??........Eeerrrrrr.....Maybe not!! :x
David M

Post by David M »

There's been a story in the paper today about a big cat having attacked a horse in a field.

This happened near Ross-on-Wye, which is pretty much where I was yesterday all alone in fairly dense woodland.

Perhaps I'll take our dog next time just in case.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Hi Felix,

Oh they are definately around - I have seen two black panthers in the past five year luckily both from the safety of my car; one just ouside Devizes and the other on Hartland moor, Dorset. The one on hartland moor crossed the road 20 yards in front of us and spanned the single track road from head to tip of tail. Both areas have a good supply of deer so I assuming butterfly hunters will be off the menu.

Colin
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

OMG ,,,, i was out in woodland this very weekend on my own too. Personally,, i'd love it if someone was eaten,,, then we would all know for sure. If it could be a dog-owner that doesn't pick up ,,, that would be great. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
millerd

Post by millerd »

At the risk of offending dog-owners everywhere, perhaps this monster feline could just eat a dog or two - preferably one of those that scare my five-year-old witless. You know, the ones that "wouldn't hurt a fly...a big softy...doesn't normally growl like that"

Dave
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

why is the mystery creature always a giant CAT....why not a giant DOG for a change ? or a huge VOLE ? :shock: :shock:

Charles
millerd

Post by millerd »

Or of course for those that remember Monty Python... a giant hedgehog!

Dave
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Every year someone sees a large feline somewhere. Here in Dorset, every copse has one. :lol:
http://www.iolfree.ie/~dorsetbigcats/
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Sightings”