North Dorset Foray

Discussion forum for sightings.
Zonda

North Dorset Foray

Post by Zonda »

Well i did see two 'New to me's'

The morning started well, and i arrived at Alners gorse just after 10am. I dowsed myself in insect repellent, and after negotiating the first gate ok, i had to take off my backpack to get through the 'kissing gate', and only just managed it then. This is life if you're a full figured man. Walked down the slightly descending lane, and i was in butterfly heaven. Thousands of Meadow Browns, and Marbled Whites, with Skippers, and Whites. Best of all tho' were the Silver-washed Fritillaries, that presented themselves beautifully for the camera. Often, i had to step back to photograph them. I was struck by their size,,, i hadn't expected a butterfly the size of a Large White,,, i had thought they may have been Marsh Frit size. I was gobsmacked as i watched this big butterfly coming in close.
The afternoon was less of a success, but i did see my first ever White Admiral,,, in fact several at Piddles Wood. By this time tho', i was getting hot, as the temperatures were rising, and unfortunately had to come away from Piddles Wood without a pic. I think that will need a day all of its own. So,,, two 'new to me's' and some SWF pics. It wasn't a failure,,,,, but i did fail to get a decent upper wing shot of the SWFs, aah well, maybe next time. :D

Last edited by Zonda on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: North Dorset Foray

Post by Vince Massimo »

Zonda,

Any day you get 2 new species is a good day. Unless you get there very early, the best time to photograph Silver Washed Fritillaries and White Admirals is in the late afternoon when they fly less and feed more. However I suggest that you go back quite soon because they are now starting to get a bit tatty, especially the admirals and therefore less photogenic.

Vince to you
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Thanks Vince,,, i shall strive.. It's an unfortunate fact that i myself function less well in the afternoons tho'. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Good score Zonda.

Vince has given good advice there; White Admirals in particular descend quite low on the rides and often in numbers not observed through the rest of the day. Between 16:00 and 18:00 have been my best times for White Admiral in the past.

Felix.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Thanks for that info both of you. Maybe i'll have to stay up late. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

If only I'd got there 10 days earlier.............
IMG_4116-01G.jpg
IMG_4285-01G.jpg
Vince

Return to “Sightings”