Large Heath

selbypaul

Large Heath

Post by selbypaul »

Hi everyone
I've been visiting this site for a year now, I think it's brilliant, but finally making my first post.

Just wondering if anyone knew the best place (grid reference) at Thorne Moors (near Doncaster) to see the Large Heath. I'm suspecting they won't be out until mid July this year, am I right?
Paul
Jack Harrison

Re: Large Heath

Post by Jack Harrison »

I hope you are right about the mid July timing. There is far too much to do in such a short time and a delay in Large Heath season – which I too hope to see at Crowle Moors, part of the Thorne complex – would be a bonus. I last saw Large Heaths (in Shropshire in fact) some four years ago, and I'd like to catch up with them again.

Jack
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hi Jack
I'd heard a rumour that the Crowle Moors site was best at Thorne, so I'll take your advice.

Where did you see them in Shropshire? Was it at Whixall Moss? I tried last year but missed them by a week!
Paul
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Some observation on Large Heaths Coenonympha tullia at Crowle Moors Monday 21st June

I had previously only seen this species (on two widely separated occasions) at Whixall Moss, Shropshire. Then, the butterflies were very lively and rarely settled. But at Crowle, then landed frequently and nectared on buttercup and white clover. While I admit to previous inexperience of the species, I was impressed at Crowle just how big they looked, almost intermediate in size between a Small Heath and a Meadow Brown. But the flight (jizz) surprised me considerably. My previous observations suggested a jizz more-or-less similar to Small Heath. At Crowle, the jizz could be best described as “bouncy” and quite slow – rather like Meadow Browns fly on occasions.

The habitat at Crowle is raised lowland bog, the predominate vegetation being cotton grass. I believe in other parts of its range its larval food plant is not confined to Cotton Grass (and related grasses). It is seemingly common in parts of North America (known there as Common Ringlet). I recall stepping out of my aircraft in Calgary Canada onto the adjacent grass to find myself surrounded by Common Ringlets. This quote shows that it is far less restricted in habitats there:

“Habits: The Common Ringlet flies in a wide variety of grassy habitats, including roadsides, woodland edges and clearings, prairies, bogs, and arctic and alpine taiga and tundra.”

The literature lists scores of different races of tullia worldwide. I would presume that the races in the British Isles have adapted to very specific habitats – a parallel with the Swallowtail which is certainly not confined to marshes and fens in other parts of Europe.

Jack
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi all
I bumped into Adrian Riley last Monday (21st June) at Strumpshaw Fen. Whilst chatting he mentioned that he'd been amazed to see a Large Heath some 2 weeks ago! Unfortunately I can't remember which site, but it was in the UK.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Large Heaths can be found at Meat Hop Moss, Grid Ref. SD 445815. I was there in the Lakes for a weekend. Didn't see any myself but spoke to two men who had filmed them. Hope this helps you Goldie M
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
A few Large Heaths from Whixall Moss on my diary page viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=80
Neil
A_T

Post by A_T »

Went for a walk on Fenn's Moss on 26th June. Very hot day and there were dozens of Large Heath.
A_T

Post by A_T »

Back to Fenn's and Whixall Moss today. Very few Large Heaths in evidence - and those that were looked more like the form polydama rather than the davus that was so in evidence earlier in the summer. Has anyone had experience of this site and can comment on whether different forms exist here? (I notice Tolman does not use these terms for the variations).

Return to “General”