May 2010 competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

May 2010 competition

Post by Gruditch »

This is the May 2010 competition.

To enter the competition, please post a single image, taken within the month of May 2010 (1 post per member) as follows:

- Click on the "Gallery" link and then open the "May 2010" album
- Click the "NEWIMAGE" button
- Follow the instructions to upload a single image

To view the entries:

- Click on the "Gallery" link and then open the "May 2010" album

You'll be able to edit or delete your entry until 5th June. To do this:

- Select the "Moderate" link at the bottom of the image details
- Take the appropriate action

You will be unable to rate or comment on the image until the competition has been voted on. Comments and constructive critique are very welcome thereafter.

Look forward to seeing the entries roll in , good luck !

Regards Gruditch
Gruditch

Re: May 2010 competition

Post by Gruditch »

Voting is now open.

As we have a few new guy's this time, to vote go to the May Gallery, click on " no comments yet ", then at the bottom of the next page, you will see "Post a comment and rate the image" you can rate the images here. :?

Regards Gruditch
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

Thanks Gruditch

As one of the "new guys" you mentioned :D, please could you give me or direct me to the advice on how to rate the images. Not the "mechanics" of it, but guidelines on things like:

- can I rate as many images as I like?
- I assume a rating of "10" is for the best image
- can I give more than one image "10"?
- do I just use my own criteria for rating the image ( ie what is pleasing to me)?

Thanks

Chris
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Chris,

"can I rate as many images as I like?"
Yes. Although rating them all is preferred, we also realise that can be painful.

"I assume a rating of "10" is for the best image"
Yes. No rating assumes a rating of 0, which is why we like folks to vote for all images if possible.

"can I give more than one image "10"?"
Yes.

"do I just use my own criteria for rating the image ( ie what is pleasing to me)?"
Yes - that one of the whole points since we all look for different things.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

Thanks Pete - that's all nice and clear now. :)

Cheers

Chris
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Congratulations to the unstoppable Fishiee 1st, Trev Sawyer 2nd, and Romansnumber7 3rd, and all that entered.

I had the top three dead on, but in reverse order. I do love that Butterfly on a clock, great image, and prints to A3 beautifully. :wink:

Regards Gruditch
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Woo-hoo - a podium place at last - I'm chuffed!...
Thanks for all who voted for me.
Congratulations to FISHiEE (hopefully now that the river fishing season has opened, he will have less time to take photos of butterflies and will spend more time wielding a rod :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and romansnumber7... your Common Blue on the dandelion clock was my favourite shot too.
I did think I might be in with a shout to shake one of the three bottles of champagne after spending so much time trying to get a photo of that Chequered Skipper. Good job it was dull and mizzly as the insect sat perfectly still for the hour it took me to get the shot - I even had time to play around with a gold reflector to try to warm up the photo and get rid of slight shadows.

Trev
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

THanks all once again :)

Just got back from a fortnight in France so wasn't able to vote for this competition and probably made the difference between 1st and 2nd as I'd have given Trev more than the 7 points he needed to beat me (I think that was my favourite of the entries) so sorry about that.

Next was a toss up between Romansnumber7's Common Blue and Gruditch's Small PBF then BillS's Small PBF.

And regarding the fishing, I don't actually get a lot of chance for fishing lately due to work and being split between Hampshire and Kent. In fact I've had very little time for butterflies either this year. Apart from 2 trips to France I've only really had 3 days out with my camera amongst the butterflies and 2 of those were the last 2 mornings. Should all change from July (after another holiday - this time fishing in Norway, and them moving to Hampshire)

Actually house hunting in Hampshire this week actually... home tomorrow and will try and write some critiques and have a propper look at the other entries too... oh and try to upload something for the June Comp before I go to Norway! :)
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hey John,
If you find a nice place somewhere within striking distance of the confluence of the Hants Avon and the Dorset Stour and it comes with a granny flat.... can I be that granny? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The chub fishing down there is just fantastic and I hear tell there are one or two butterflies down there too :wink:
Good luck with the house hunting.

Trev

Return to “Competitions”