Butterfly Conservation Appeal

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Jack Harrison

Butterfly Conservation Appeal

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have just received a flyer from BC with an appeal for donations for Rowland Wood, East Sussex. Now this is a good cause and I will be donating.

But it took a lot of internet work via StreetMap, etc, to find out the location of Rowland Wood. There is mention in the appeal that it is part of the existing Park Corner Reserve but the BC flyer gave not so much as a map reference, let alone a map showing these localities. Now I appreciate that we are all different but I am very much a map person, as indeed are many others.
The BBC is just as bad with its traffic reports. For example:
”Cambridgeshire - North Brink closed both ways due to roadworks between Magazine Lane and Bevis Lane, in Wisbech.” I haven’t a clue where that is, but like Rowland Wood, a map (picture) would tell a thousand words.

What has this to do with ukb you might ask? Well, wordy descriptions of localities are fine for many people but a simple map reference is far more helpful for many others. If anyone has trouble with map references, or internet linking to Ordnance Survey maps (note correct spelling Ordnance – it’s NOT Ordinance) please let us know. I will happily write a tutorial.

By the way, Rowland Wood is at TQ515150
And on Street Map this link:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=55 ... hp=ids.srf
Use zoom control as required to see the wider picture

Jack
Zonda

Re: Butterfly Conservation Appeal

Post by Zonda »

I would doneight if i lived clowser Jack. The map site seems ok, let's see if i can use it. I've stuck the arrer on where i live, and copied and pasted page url. :D

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=36 ... 92800&lm=0

if this werks, i'll eat me att.
Cor! it did.....munch munch. :lol:

This is Bullers cliff, where i observed quite a few Clouded yellow this season.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=35 ... 84679&lm=0

Thanks Jack,,,really handy this. :D
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,

The website 'Grab a Grid Reference' at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith.balm ... /index.htm is brilliant for butterfly bods. Zoom control bar on the left, options to display map, satellite image or hybrid (best), options to tick the boxes (top right) to display 10m, 100m, 1Km squares (with instant Grid Ref read-outs), a blue box (bottom right) to enter 'go to' Grid Refs etc. Just drag the balloon symbol around the map. I've been using this for some time now, for scoping out suitable territory for surveying species such as Duke of Burgundy - it saves a lot of leg-work. Although most sites have satellite images that are 'out of date', they are usually sufficiently recent to avoid wasting hours travelling to and from unsuitable areas.

I will let you know more about Rowland Wood in due course, but there are one or two aspects that must be finalised before doing so. It's going to be an absolute corker and is well worthy of your support.

Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That's very clever Neil. Now if I have got this right, the link below is where it would have been nice not to have been driving. And I would have liked to have been forty years younger (remember the occupants of that Fiat Nuova 500?)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/keith.balm ... nAWS=false

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack,
I remember the fiat occupants well :wink:. This bar (Devil's Dyke, behind Brighton) is well worth a visit at sunset. The deep V-shaped valley to the immediate south (The Dyke) is full of Green Hairstreaks. :D
Neil
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I still much prefer OS maps for their clarity as compared to the bland Google maps. However, I don’t think anyone has yet integrated OS maps with satellite views in the way that Google has done. I find myself looking at both Google maps (usually in satellite mode) and OS maps in another window and switch between the two.

I am (as I said earlier in this thread) very much a map person. Indeed, the area where I now live (highest part of Cambridgeshire) and my previous area (Yorkshire Dales) were targeted before we had even visited them simply by studying the maps in advance. Having made some general decisions as to the area in which to look for a house, we then fine tuned our searches when we made a "live" visit. We have not been disappointed with the outcomes.

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

However, I don’t think anyone has yet integrated OS maps with satellite views in the way that Google has done.
Jack
They have - there are a number of mapping aps on the web that combine OS with Aerial photography.
This is just one of them.
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
and
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php
is another.
You can even plan a route on the map or aerial photo or both, and download it to a hanheld GPS - how cool is that?
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks Roger, it's brilliant. Just what I wanted.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Roger.

I’m struggling on one aspect. I cannot figure out how to send a simple link (to eg ukb) of a particular location without giving a map reference (up to ten digits) that then has to be put into the box top left when I open “where’s the path”. There must be a direct method but I can’t understand from the instructions how to do it. For example, TL 57579 65240 is my favourite local Green Hairstreak hotspot. So yes, I can send that for inputting but it’s a tedious method.
GreenHairstreak24April.jpg
GreenHairstreak24April.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 492 times
This fellow was photographed at precisely that spot on 24th April.

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
On Wheresthepath, on the top left of the page is a collection of boxes.
Type the OS ref into the one on the left.
Then click on the 25K box and then on the spot on the map, and a new window opens as a 1:25K StreetMap.co.uk page that you can copy and paste the URL of.
A bit clumsy, but it works.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?Z=11 ... Y=265302.5

Cheers
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Yes, I had already done more or less that. However, the url generated will then link to StreetMap and not to “where’s the path” so won’t show the double pane of OS map and Google satpic – that is what I would want to do.

My (clumsy) method of simply pasting an 8 digit map ref (ie good to10 metres) into any “where’s the path” page shows both the exact 10 x 10 metres square on an OS map and a satpic. I think this is in some ways better. Neither your method nor mine is quite what is needed..

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
The top right Icon gives a URL to copy and paste.
http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.h ... &oz=8&gt=1
Voila
and this is my best spot for HBF
Actually the last hour or so is the first time I have really looked at this site in detail, and I didn't know how good it was.
You can plot a route on the 1:50K map or Aerial photo or both, and download to a GPS, or send to someone else as an GPX file to load onto their GPS.
Also you can see a really detailed profile of the route (showing a side view of gradients etc) and also print out the route on a 1:50k map with a detailed log attached.
Excellent.
(A tip - always set to Pan + Zoom)
Cheers
Cheers

Roger
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Got it - it's superb isn't it.

My local hotspot a mere 400 metres from home. 24 species.

Is Heddon's Mouth for HBFrits easy enough walking for a none-too-active 71 year old (as I will be by next June)?

Jack
Susie

Post by Susie »

Pre-Christmas isn't exactly a good time to send out a begging letter.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
From the pub to the beach is less than 1 mile, and all pretty even and gentle - no real gradients at all. I have seen it done in stilettos and pushing a pram (not me doing either I hasten to add).
To get to my favourite spot you may have to climb a 5 bar gate but I am sure you can still get your leg over. :lol:
I would be happy to guide you, and share a pint or two in the pub.
Cheers

Roger
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Interesting looking map tools there gents.

Jack, out of interest, what species would Rowlands Wood be good for?

Best,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Jack said
From the pub to the beach is less than 1 mile,
I hope there are no cliffs. Pubs and sheer drops don't mix. :lol:
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Roger said:
...you may have to climb a 5 bar gate but I am sure you can still get your leg over. :lol:
I’m certainly not as good at these things as I used to be.

“Yes, I’m taking the blue pills with me for my overnight stay in Devon to help me with five-bar gates.”

In my case, I wouldn’t be chased out of the house with a golf club; a tripod more likely.

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

“Yes, I’m taking the blue pills with me for my overnight stay in Devon to help me with five-bar gates.”
You're planning on pole vaulting a five bar gate?
Cheers

Roger

Return to “General”