Switzerland

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Simon C

Switzerland

Post by Simon C »

Spent a few days in Switzerland around the beginning of the month hiking and sightseeing, and just getting round to going through some photos.

For once, I would say butterfly numbers in Switzerland were lower on average than I have been seeing in the UK - a greater range of species, but fewer in total. Might just have been the specific places we went, but the locals were all complaining about unsettled weather.

On a walk from the monastery at Einsiedeln to Rothenturm I stopped to relieve myself only to find the tree I had chosen was being frequented by half a dozen large tortoiseshells, several of which were greatly attracted by moisture that was seeping from the bark. Sadly, none came down for a photo.

At Klewenalp the Apollos were showing well. This is one of my favourite places, and I always try to visit when in Switzerland. Apollos are cumbersome fliers - when they flap their wings they make a noise like clockwork toys, as their wings contact one another. I think this explains the frequently-seen loss of scales. They are, however, consummate gliders, and at Klewenalp there is a path that cuts across a scree slope with a wide range of vegetation which the apollos frequent in numbers, and it is a delight to watch them glide past. There are also good numbers to be seen on the path from the convent at Maria-Rickenbach up to the Klewenalp. I was surprised to observe egg laying on all sort of plants - I had understood the larvae feed on stonecrop and houseleek.

Drinking a beer on the balcony of the restaurant at the upper cable car station we also had the pleasure of looking down onto purple emperors sunning themselves on trees and chasing one another into the sky.

One another day after looking round Solothurn we headed out into the coutryside hoping to see a white stork. Near Altreu the countryside is farmed sympathetically for storks and other migratory birds, which means fields of clover and lucerne which were very attractive to clouded yellows. Females wishing to deflect the unwanted attentions of eager males were opening their wings and arching up their bodies, and they kept their wings open for a few seconds after the males had gone, giving a chance for an elusive open-wing shot.

We shouldn't have been worried about seeing storks - there were many occupied nests to be seen on roofs in the village, and dozens of birds in the surrounding fields.

Simon
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Switzerland

Post by Gruditch »

Some killer shots Simon, love the Apollo on the dark background. :mrgreen:

Gruditch
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I agree! If you could email me the high-res images, Simon, I'll stick them on the Apollo species page (if you're OK with that!).

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Denise

Post by Denise »

Looks like you had a great time Simon. Love the Apollo shots. :D

Denise
Denise
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Thanks for the comments.

Pete - I'll gladly send you hi-res images. Expect them soon. As usual, feel free to use them any way you can.

Here are a few more images from the latest batch that I have got through.

On a hike from Luzern to Kussnacht-am-Rigi, saw my first ever European Maps. I've done this walk half a dozen times at and around this time of year, and not seen this species before. Did I just miss them? Who knows. First reaction when I caught my first sight out the corner of my eye was white admiral. This is a really delicately marked butterfly - my photos don't do it justice. What a shame that chap whose name escapes me [Fry?] chose to wipe out the colony that got established in the UK. Now, of course, I want to see the spring brood :-)

Along a path from Rigi-Kaltbad to Rigi-Staffelhohe a swallowtail was posing nicely. There were many swallowtails to be seen at Rigi-Scheidegg too, on the other end of the mountain. My experience is that swallowtails are most often seen at the tops of mountains in Switzerland, which is so far removed from the favoured habitat in the UK. Wonder why. I know the UK sub-species likes to keep its willies wet, but is that the only reason? Maybe someone knows and could explain. I'd be very grateful.

I've got this down as a Scotch Argus, but was horrified to see exactly how many similar species there were in Tolman, so I have low confidence in my identification.

Simon
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Simon! I've been keeping a low profile recently and was shocked to find how many 'new posts' there were when I logged on (from Suffolk) just now! As it happens, 2009 was by far my most successful year ever in Switzerland, even though my dog's illness and death ended my season at the close of July. It was so consistently good for butterflies that many species had a rather short flight period and at moderate altitudes numbers of some butterflies were down sooner than most years. Altitude species were on the whole late, but again, the good weather meant they did their business quickly. After a couple of unproductive summers, with particularly cool temperatures and often bad weather, 2009 offered a chance for recovery.

Your last Erebia is ligea - Arran brown.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

PS - Swallowtails are the classic 'hilltopping' butterfly and my local peaks invariably have a few individuals disporting themselves from May onwards. They don't breed up there - they just go up for fun. Maybe the Norfolk swallowtails would do the same thing if they could find a mountain...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Overseas”