Thomas and Lewington

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Thomas and Lewington

Post by Pete Eeles »

I know that many members consider Jeremy Thomas and Richard Lewington's masterpiece, "Butterflies of Britain and Ireland", to be oe of the best (if not *the* best) books written on the subject.

Just thought I'd let you all know that the rumours are true! I've just heard from Jeremy that he and Richard are, indeed, updating the book to be published late winter-early spring. Can't wait :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Re: Thomas and Lewington

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pete,
That's great news. I certainly consider this to be the best. Of course it needed updating, but I still get the greatest of pleasure every time I open it - a true masterpiece!
Neil
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

This is good news.
I had this book a few years back, but it got mislaid during my post divorce moving about.
I have been outbid on e-bay consistently for the last year or so!
There is one available on a second-hand book search site at £35.00 +p&p!
Richard is at Birdfair this year - I may ask him if he will post me a signed copy..........
Cheers

Roger
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Looking to buy a the best; up to date, butterfly field guide...... is this it???
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

With regards to latin names,,,there is a taxonomic revolution happening at this very moment. In the blinding light of DNA profiling, some of the fungi field guides are becoming out-of-date quite quickly now. Will the butterfly field guides be the same? Should we wait before buying a field guide now?
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

If you mean "Field Guide" as in having it in a jacket pocket to nail identifications in the field, then it is not suitable. It is a pretty bulky book, and probably better suited to the "book/map box" in the boot of your car.
For UK butterflies I would suggets David Tomlison and Rob Still's "Britain's Butterflies". It is pocketable, has lots of photographs, and is pretty up-to-date.
The other excellent option is the "British and Irish Butterflies" by Adrian M Riley. A brilliant book that also details all the sub-species, and is essential reading for the butterfly nut.
If you plan on visiting Europe ther are two excellent books-
Collins Field Guide Butterflies Britain and Europe (Tolman and the brilliant illustrations of Richard Lewington) or Butterflies of Europe by Tristan Lafranchis - loads of photos and good identification pointers.
There are lots of others that other people on here may prefer, and I am sure they will let you know :lol:
Good luck
Cheers

Roger
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Thank you very much Roger. Some good info there. :)
Cheers,,, Zonda.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”