Threat to Ladybirds

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Shirley Roulston

Threat to Ladybirds

Post by Shirley Roulston »

On the news to-day they are refering to the Harlequin ladybirds, these insects are coming to these shores in their thousands and killing insects and our own Ladybirds, they even come into houses in the winter to see out the cold weather. The message is, if you spot one at all, kill it. I don't have a photo of one but they have many spots and seem to be a darker red. I saw this to-day on the news with Yahoo.
From Shirley
m_galathea

Re: Threat to Ladybirds

Post by m_galathea »

Hey Shirley, they have been in Britain for a while now. I would urge you not to kill them as the patterns on their elytra are highly variable and can sometimes look similar and be confused with our native ladybirds.

Lots of info here for you: http://www.harlequin-survey.org/

Alexander
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Thanks Alexander for putting the information up, I don't know much about them and I'm sure quite a few people who come on to this site will be be the same.
Shirley
jellyang

Post by jellyang »

We have had Harlequin Ladybirds in Norfolk for a while. The colour & spots vary.
As I understand it they are more aggresive than our own native Ladybird but I believe that is only to get the best food & the right habitat.

Now I will let you into a little secret.......... The native Ladybird is fighting back!!
This year in my local area the Harlequin numbers are very low but the native Ladybird numbers are the best I have seen for at least 4 years :D :D

I don't care what sort they are, I can't kill them!

Angie

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”