Zeiss lenses (in hybrids)

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Jack Harrison

Zeiss lenses (in hybrids)

Post by Jack Harrison »

Zeiss lenses have often impressed me. Neil Hulme’s photos using his ancient (sorry Neil) Panasonic with a Zeiss lens are impressive. Nick Ballard got excellent results his Zeiss-equipped Panasonic (different model) until he dropped it :oops:

Yesterday, I met a user of Sony Cybershot H50, also fitted with a Zeiss Tessar lens. I saw his photos only on his LCD (3 inch screen) and not on a computer display. But what I saw impressed. Moreover the H50 has a tilting screen, essential as far as I am concerned.

Does anyone on this group own a Sony H50, or the earlier H7, or H9 which use the same lens?

Jack
Jack Harrison

Re: Zeiss lenses (in hybrids)

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am probably wrong there and have subsequently found out that certainly some Panasonics use Leica lenses, not Zeiss.

Jack
eccles

Re: Zeiss lenses (in hybrids)

Post by eccles »

Sony has a tie-in with Zeiss who have developed several lenses for their Alpha series DSLRs. All are expensive, most are very good, but one or two have been relatively indifferent with bog standard Sony lenses outperforming them. I personally think Sony's in-house team in conjunction with their other subsidiary, Tamron, have enough expertise not to need to pay Zeiss for theirs.

The Leica lenses used by Panasonic in their high end compacts and bridge cameras have usually been highly rated by reviewers. I've seen results from a friend's FX8 following an Antarctica visit and they were very, very good.

Return to “Photography”