Shoulder tripods

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Bill S

Shoulder tripods

Post by Bill S »

Hi all

A long long time ago (early 80s) I used to have a small desk tripod about 6" high which had 3 fold out feet about 3" long. One of the feet could fold in and under one of the other feet, turning it into a bipod :). The unit could then be used on the shoulder, because with the feet folded that way they resembled the curved butt of a rifle. Does anyone know of anything similar on the market today, I can't find anything by googling for shoulder tripod but then they might be called something different now. (If you're wondering what happened to mine, it was stolen along with the rest of my camera gear circa 1986 :(

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bill
Rogerdodge

Re: Shoulder tripods

Post by Rogerdodge »

Cheers

Roger
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Rogerdodge wrote:Bill,
Try
http://www.binocularsonline.co.uk/catal ... ERTABLEPOD&
HTH

Roger
That's the one I used to have, thanks Roger!

Bill
eccles

Post by eccles »

I use a Jessop model 330 monopod. It's very inexpensive but the pan/tilt lever is just the right length to act as a shoulder brace. With the leg segments retracted it can act pretty much the same as a shoulder pod but you get added stability by pulling the leg towards your chest as well as using the lever as a shoulder brace. You can also get shoulder braces for other, more standard, monopods.
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

There's a wonderful, I think Russian, shoulder stock which I very nearly went for on fleaBay a couple of years ago - but backed off after thinking about the consequences of going into the countryside with a rig that looked remarkably like a rifle! Borne out by the subsequent exploits of someone who had the personal attention of the Armed Response Vehicle and he only had an ordinary tripod, admittedly carried extended! :)
smujsmith

Post by smujsmith »

I came across this one whilst surfing:

http://bushhawk-europe.com/uk/BH-320D

I know several people who use it for low level aircraft photography in Wales. From all accounts a very useful piece of kit. Several variations are available.

Return to “Photography”