Brimstone Food?

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Shirley Roulston

Brimstone Food?

Post by Shirley Roulston »

On Ebay, Sea Buckthorn is being sold, is this the food of the Brimstone or is there another variety of Buckthorn, does anyone know?
Shirley
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Brimstone Food?

Post by Pete Eeles »

i've only ever heard of Alder Buckthorn and Purging Buckthorn being used. Sea Buckthorn seems to be a completely different family and, unless anyone corrects me, completely unsuitable for Brimstone. Which is why we should all use the scientific names :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Alder Buckthorn can be grown from mature cuttings. Lasts well in pots. It is common in Glos woodlands unlike Purging Buckthorn which is very local. Both can be grown from the berry seeds ~ but take a long time to become large plants suitable for raising Brimstones. I believe you can buy the Alder-B from plant dealers.

If Brimstones fly in your area, put a potted growing Alder Buckthorn in your garden and during May any female Brimstones in your area will seek it out ~ how they do that in gardens far away from woodlands so effectively is surprising but it's true. About twenty years ago, I had a potted A-B in my greenhouse. I was watching the Monaco GP on the TV at the time ~ Mansell and Senna IIRC ~ and noticed a butterfly flying against the outside glass of my greenhouse containing the A-Buckthorn. It was a female Brimstone and I allowed her access to the plant where she laid several dozen ova....
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Susie

Post by Susie »

My alder buckthorn is a couple of years old now and eight feet tall and I still have yet to see a brimstone on it, despite them being in the area. :(
Shirley Roulston

Thank you for the advice and there are places to buy Alder Buckthorn I have just seen on the internet but some place sell just the roots, if I remember right about 25 root balls for £12, I did what a plant but I might get the root balls as I have plenty of room for them to grow. Apprently unlike the sea buckthorn the alder bushes don't have thorns. I have never seen a Brimstone so if they like buckthorn then buckthorn it has to be.
Shirley
Susie

Post by Susie »

That sounds a very good price. If I remember rightly bees like the flowers on the alder buckthorn too, although they are quite inconspicuous.
Shirley Roulston

I have ordered 12 root balls Susie, if you want a couple I could send them to you. By the way Fothergill seed company are selling Lantana plants in lovely colours I'll try some of them, I think they are a plant which likes a warm place and to go inside for the winter.
Shirley
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you, Shirley, that is really kind of you. I actually have all I can manage at the moment, two small ones in the front garden I put in last year which I had forgotten about and the bigger one in the back garden I put the year before, but thank you anyway. :D

Lantana have beautiful flowers but the ones I had last year weren't visited by a single butterfly as far as I am aware. They are gorgeous flowers and worth growing for that reason alone though and there is no reason why you shouldn't have more success than I.

You are right about bringing them in doors in the winter. I had hoped to over winter my plants under cover in a sheltered place outside but I hadn't accounted for this cold winter. My plants are all as dead as door nails now. :lol:
chitin

Post by chitin »

Mount Pleasant Tree Farm, Rockhampton nr. Thornbury, Bristol do both Buckthorn species about a £1 each I think, min.10. Strictly collection of orders only. One species leafs a very long time before the other,blessed if I can remember which way round though. Found 4 larvae first year on 3 ft trees., Larvae lie along the mid rib on the upper side of the leaf.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Finally! A brimstone was laying eggs on the alder buckthorn this morning. :D
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Susie wrote:Finally! A brimstone was laying eggs on the alder buckthorn this morning. :D
Perfect timing. It all comes to those who wait...;)

Whilst watching the Monaco F1 GP on TV back in May 1992 ( Mansel v. Senna ), I looked out of the window to see a female Brimstone flying against my Greenhouse glass trying to get in. There was a potted Alder Buckthorn inside. I caught her and she laid a number of ova on the potted bush ~ then released her.

It's the Monaco F1 GP tomorrow ~ I shall be watching ~ it's another of my many interests. There was a strong flying Male Brimstone in my garden yesterday ~ last month a strong flying female checked many of the shrubs in my garden. Nothing suitable for her. Must get some more bushes.
Mount Pleasant Tree Farm, Rockhampton nr. Thornbury,
That's handy ~ not a long drive for me ~ I'll contact them to see what they have at the moment.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Susie

Post by Susie »

This is a chrysalis on the buckthorn from the batch of brimstone eggs I saw being laid earlier in the year. I just hope I get to see it emerge too. :D

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”