Save the Mendip Hills ANOB Wardens

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Denise

Save the Mendip Hills ANOB Wardens

Post by Denise »

Hi all,

I wanted to draw your attention to this important petition that I recently signed:

"Save the Mendip Hills AONB Wardens"
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sows-on-Mendip?e

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes less than a minute of your time.

Thanks!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Save the Mendip Hills ANOB Wardens

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Denise.

Do you have any more information on what this is about? I'm sure I support the petition, and I trust your judgment, but as I don't know the people involved (unless they're UK Butterflies members I know by some other name) or whether they are going to be replaced I feel a little uncomfortable signing blind. Other people might like some background on the case too.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Guy,

Here is the info posted on a dedicated site. This matter was drawn to my attention by my local wildlife group, as it directly affects my area.
As most of the members here will know, many butterfly sites are in the mendips!

www.sows-on-mendip.com

sows-on-mendip is the web page for "SAVE OUR WARDENS SERVICE on MENDIP

For over 25 years we have benefited from an excellent Warden Service upon the Mendip Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Somerset.
The Two Wardens give the A.O.N.B - a first rate Public Profile and delivery.
I wish to place on record both my personal, and what I know to be the view of many Mendip A.O.N.B residents-our thanks and congratulations for the above average service provided by the Senior Warden Les DAVIES and his deputy Tina BATH.
These two have given freely of their advice and been generous of their time on many occasions, displaying warmth and friendly welcome to all of those whom they meet in the course of their A.O.N.B Role. The Senior Warden's tireless efforts resulted in official recognition by the award of an M.B.E.
The deputy Warden has worked in all winds and weathers training many a volunteer in the skills of dry-stone walling or hedge laying.Tina BATH's dedication and sheer dogged hard work recently culminated in her coming top of the National Ladies Championship for Hedge Laying, a hard won, but well deserved victory.

NOW, They are being rewarded by an A.O.N.B Proposal to make them take either early retirement or Redundancy.

FIGHT THESE CUTS, Please sign the petition and write opposing this proposal to the Chairman :- Somerset County Council, Mendip, Banes and Sedgemoor District Councils, Your local M.P and Natural England one of the funding partners of the A.O.N.B. Ideally target the individual Councillors of Somerset County Council, these are your elected representitives, there to carry through your views! Lobby your Parish Council, and ask them to vote against this measure, and each Parish to forward that decision to Somerset County Council.

We need our Mendip Wardens, we do not need further Admin Staff, these cuts are wrong and are disrespectfull to the loyalty shown by both Wardens to the Mendip A.O.N.B.
Petition forms can be found at:The Hunters Lodge Inn, the New Inn,Priddy, The Red Lion Inn, Draycott, CRS Builders Merchants, Cheddar. New Inn, Blagdon.East & West Harptree Village Stores.Cave & Climb Outdoor pursuits,Cheddar.Priddy Farm Shop, The Burrington Arms & Cafe,and the "Gorge Outdoors", Cheddar. More Venues will be added soon.

The Mid-Somerset Newspaper Group have kindly set up an ON LINE PETITION Please LOG-ON to " www.thisissomerset.co.uk " and clik on to the story.
The Western Daily Press carried this story Tuesday 5th. Jan,and a further petition. BBC Radio Somerset ran a live interview Sat 3rd Jan, available on their website
Already some 500 signatures opposing these redundancies have been gathered, Many conservation groups are now supporting SOWS, and these are being joined by concearned Parish Councils!..the fight goes on into 2009!

Somerset County Council have listed this as an AGENDA item for this comming Thursday, 8th. January, THE PUBLIC ARE EXCLUDED FROM THIS MEETING!!! ***

Nigel Taylor, Tuesday 6th.January 2009
01934-742626 or Mobile 07860-227815
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

well, I signed it, I am always in favour of saving things like this
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Conservation”