What would you suggest

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
bugmadmark

What would you suggest

Post by bugmadmark »

For sometime Ive been thinking of creating an area in my garden to attract butterflies/moths to feed. I have a very dry, sandy bank and no more than say 4 meters are in the sun (South westerly facing). It's quite dry due to roots from the overhanging Hawthorn tree. The bank needs building up with railway sleepers and some composted materials added to improve water retention etc. However, the one thing that does do well in the bank are nettles. My wife is always arguing that I should get rid of them but my excuse is that they may be used by butterflies and they keep my kids off the crumbling bank too! I've read over lotsof the forum notes here - and lots of plants have come up - but I'm no expert. I recognise I'm unlikely (without a lot of cash injection which i dont have with 3 kids to feed and entertain) to achieve perfect soil and so I need to largely work with what's there. Also, if i can find flowering plants that do well in these dry conditions im more likely to succeed!).The list of regular appearing plant names on this forum are

Sorrel & Fleabane (Pulicaria dysenterica) close together
Yellow and pale purple buddleias (B.lindleyana)
Verbena bonariensis/rigida
Oreganum vulare (Marjoram) Tony has some of this
Other herbs incl Rosemary, Thyme, Basil
Lavender (which french is prettier - but is it as good as traditional?)
Hemp Agrimony (american version)
Sedum dark red
Red Valerian Centranthus rubra
Field scabious
Hawkbit
Yellow niger
Ladies Smock
Purging Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)
Fuschia - (variety?)
Erigerons/Globe thistle

Of all the keen butterfly gardeners out there, can anyone reccommend where to start. I'm thinking of leaving some of the nettles insitu (and potting some up too) so i can attempt to cultivate some larva outside. I also have a massive golden hop so hope that i could get Commas to take to this too? Any advice welcomed as im thinking of startingon imnproving the ground this auumn. if there are any plants i can start off from seeds etc this autumn in pots i could get on with this too.

Thanks
Mark
Denise

Re: What would you suggest

Post by Denise »

Hi Mark,

Here are a few tips based on my south westerly facing garden.

Yellow and pale purple buddleias (B.lindleyana) -very good
Verbena bonariensis/rigida/horizontalis - very good
Oreganum vulare (Marjoram) - excellent
Other herbs incl Rosemary, Thyme, Basil -?
Lavender (which french is prettier - but is it as good as traditional?) French not so good
Hemp Agrimony (american version)
Sedum dark red - Actually you need Sedum Spectical. The others don't cut the mustard. I have tried them all! :(
Red Valerian Centranthus rubra. -I have the normal pink Valerian and it's great.
Field scabious - excellent
Hawkbit - Not tried it yet.
Yellow niger
Ladies Smock - great for Orange-tip and green-veined whites
Purging Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)
Fuschia - (variety?) Butterflies don't go near it.
Erigerons/Globe thistle. No luck with this either.

Keep a patch of nettles just in case you get some larvae.
Good luck and happy gardening. :)

Denise
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Thanks Denise! Now any idea how I get motivated enough to start the digging in the rain?

I was supposed to be finishing painting the bathroom last night, however, after the recent wet stormy weather, and the fact that muggins here left the bathroom light on [after telling the kids to turn that light off - hey it was a CFL energy efficient bulb so not feeling as bad about it] we've been inundated with tonnes of moths. Now I couldn hardly paint the ceiling 'cause they'd all have stuck to it. I therefore spent the evening watching them and attempting (badly) to photograph one of them. Mainly Buff Tip, Silver Y, Yellow Underwings, and one of my favourites, the Brimstone moth. There were also a spattering of the usual feathery grass moths. After releasing them I was told the window stays shut and that the painting will be done tonight. Hey ho! Mark.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

I would not recommend Hemp Agrimony (American version) for dry sandy soil from everything that I have read recently. It seems to like heavy damp/wet soil (mines in permanently damp clay) and a bit of sunlight.
My father has sandy soil and Verbena seems to grow very well in it and attracts plenty of butterflies. :D
You could try trailing Nasturtiums as they seem to grow in anything and would trail down sleepers quite nicely and get a lot of whites/caterpillars
Denise

Post by Denise »

Just an after thought.
Plant some Aubretia, very early flowering and attracts every thing that flies, to your garden.
I had great success with mine, Peacock, Orange-tip and whites in April this year, plus some Bee flies for the first time.

Cheers
Denise
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

I find grape hyacinth attracts lots of interest early in the year. Peacocks, tortoiseshells and comma all enjoy visiting clumps of the flowers. Grows anywhere in our garden, around the base of trees, amongst grass, or in flower beds. Doesn't appear to need anything special as far as soil is concerned. Left to go to seed they spread easily, but are no trouble to control if you so wish.

From August onwards, the purple coneflowers (Echinacea purpurea) in our garden attract lots of bees and butterflies, and I would strongly recommend them. I've seen all the whites, peacock, tortoiseshell, comma, small copper, brimstone, meadow brown, speckled wood, and gatekeeper on them this year.

Simon

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”