White moth on my wall

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Clovista

White moth on my wall

Post by Clovista »

I left my window open last night, and I've just discovered a rather pretty moth moth on my wall.
Unfortunately, my camera is absolutely useless for anything smaller than head sized, so I'll have to make do with a description.

It is white/light cream with little black spots and dashes scattered over it's wings, it's head and "shoulders" are covered in white fur.
It's about 2.5 cm long.
It has thin black legs, with white fur above the "knees".
It's antennae are thin and black and about 0.7 cm long. I think it's a male as it has a thin "comb" on them.
The wings are folded over the thorax, but with a bit of kneeling down and peering I can see that the thorax is also white furred and a little shorter than the wings.

It is rather well camouflaged against my magnolia coloured wall, in fact my daughter spotted it before I did. :)
It was spotted in south Wales, near Bridgend.

I hope someone can identify this for me, or at least point me in the right direction, sorry for the lack of proper anatomical terms, I'm much better at flowers and fish! ;)
COLIN BAKER

White Moth !!!

Post by COLIN BAKER »

Hi Clovista, from your description I rather think the moth you are describing could well be the pretty moth called a White Ermine (Spilosoma lubriciped(Linnaeus, 1758).
You can check it out on the UK Moths website at http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3228

Hope this info does the trick.

Cheers Colin

Return to “Identification”