The sun came out in North Wales and so did.....

Discussion forum for sightings.
Shirley Roulston

The sun came out in North Wales and so did.....

Post by Shirley Roulston »

So did the butterflies, in fact it was quite hot to-day. Firstly on the cliff path was the Green-Veined White I think :? and it was so jolly hot I was forced back into the garden where it became very interesting, a Comma on the Buddlia, followed by a Holly Blue on the leaves of the Blackcurrant then later in the afternoon a Gatekeeper on the Elderberry leaves. One or two Small Tortoseshells about. Good day by far and now walk my labrador, she feels very left out.
100_6218.jpg
100_6218.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 426 times
100_6254.jpg
100_6254.jpg (53.98 KiB) Viewed 426 times
my pictures 626.jpg
my pictures 626.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 426 times
IAC

Re: The sun came out in North Wales and so did.....

Post by IAC »

Hi Shirley,
A blink of sunshine just to tease us, and tempt us into, what we usually find is a ,false sense of security....however brief these summery interludes are, we will take them, we have no choice. I guess the butterflies are as used to this as us.
You have some beautiful photos of some cracking butterflies there, we dont have any Commas showing yet. The last one I saw was back in May. The Gatekeeper is a little scarce in these parts, they are alltogether a wee bit jollier than the Meadow Brown. I am going to commit myself, and agree with you that ,the other photo is a Green Veined White......I have no doubt, if it is wrong, someone will intervene. I have not seen any Holly Blue up here, however they have been seen in record numbers in Scotland over the course of this year.......so fingers crossed.
Cheers, IAC.
Shirley Roulston

Re: The sun came out in North Wales and so did.....

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Thanks Iac, I was very surprised to see a Holly Blue and I had intended to add the photo but 3 photos are the maximum, I might add it tomorrow but I don't want to hog the sighting page. I've planted masses of plants to encourage the butterflies and it might just have worked.

Return to “Sightings”