Pictures from Halkidiki - Part 2 - Carcharodus

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
JKT

Pictures from Halkidiki - Part 2 - Carcharodus

Post by JKT »

Not recommended: Forgetting the literature when going to exotic places... :oops:

Here's the next batch. Trying to remember what to look for was somewhat challenging with this and a number of other groups. As a result, my selection was more random than anything else. I'm guessing the first two are C. alceae and the rest (next message) might be something else. Based on distribution, C. lavatherae and C. orientalis are possible and there might be a small chance for C. flocciferus as well. I'm guessing C. orientalis for numbers 3 and 4. Number 5 could be C. alceae as well as C. orientalis. Comments are welcome and an ID for the blue would be nice as well. :)
YIMG_1017.jpg
YIMG_1017.jpg (214.49 KiB) Viewed 550 times
YIMG_1285.jpg
YIMG_1285.jpg (225.26 KiB) Viewed 549 times
JKT

Re: Pictures from Halkidiki - Part 2 - Carcharodus

Post by JKT »

And the other three pictures...
YIMG_1411.jpg
YIMG_1411.jpg (217.15 KiB) Viewed 544 times
YIMG_1449.jpg
YIMG_1449.jpg (247.73 KiB) Viewed 541 times
YIMG_1716.jpg
YIMG_1716.jpg (242.54 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You're really going to hate me, JKT, but I think they're all alceae. This is a variable species, but something pretty constant is the narrow linearity of the three marks around the end of the cell on the forewing - that is, the one marking the cell end and the two beneath. In other species at least one of these marks is more rectangular or of a different shape. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I think the blue is icarus.

They're excellent pictures!! :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
JKT

Post by JKT »

padfield wrote:You're really going to hate me, JKT, but I think they're all alceae.
Oh well, that's what I thought at the time too...
padfield wrote:This is a variable species, but something pretty constant is the narrow linearity of the three marks around the end of the cell on the forewing - that is, the one marking the cell end and the two beneath. In other species at least one of these marks is more rectangular or of a different shape.
Thats good to know, thanks!
padfield wrote:I think the blue is icarus.
Yikes! That hurt much more. The red spots are surprisingly strong, but I'm not familiar with the variation...
padfield wrote:They're excellent pictures!! :D
Thanks!

It seems my species count keeps on dropping. I really should have found the time to drive to the northern mountains, but after arriving 6 hours late and waiting two days for luggage that was not to be...
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Here's my first floccy of the year. It's just a record shot but if you look at the white/silver markings around the end of the cell you will see what I mean about these being totally different from in alceae.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
JKT

Post by JKT »

Yes, once you mentioned that, it was rather obvious in the books as well.

Return to “Overseas”