Fermyn woods (Northamptonshire)

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
nick patel

Fermyn woods (Northamptonshire)

Post by nick patel »

I know it's a while off yet until peak time for the Butterflies there, but i thought i'd find out in advance so less confusion later on.

Which are the best places in Fermyn woods and Lady wood for the Butterflies (Black hairstreak, Purp emperor, White admiral, White letter hairstreak, etc) as looking at the map it's quite a big area.

Has anyone had any past experiences there, where a certain part of the woods is more productive.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.
alex mclennan

Re: Fermyn woods (Northamptonshire)

Post by alex mclennan »

hi Nick
Fermyn Woods lie close to the village of Brigstock on the A6116 between Corby and Thrapston. Just north of the entrance to the visitor centre car park is a minor road leading off the A6116 towards Oundle. Travel about a mile or so along this minor road until you see a gliding club on your left hand side. Opposite the gliding club is a small layby and an entrance to the woods. (During the first two weeks in July this layby fills up very quickly and parking can be a problem). Emperors can be found anywhere from the car park for the length of the whole ride. They are even seen on the parked cars from time to time! Mid-morning on a hot dry sunny day (remember them?) is the optimum time to find them mineralising on the ground.
Your other target species can be found in the same area. Hope this helps.
Alex.
nick patel

Re: Fermyn woods (Northamptonshire)

Post by nick patel »

Thanks Alex this is great. Very helpful.

Return to “Sites”