Large Tortoiseshell

Discussion forum for sightings.
markhows

Large Tortoiseshell

Post by markhows »

One reported on Portland today on Rare Bird Alert.

Is this an overwintering individual?

Mark
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Large Tortoiseshell

Post by Padfield »

Hi Mark,

Just to say this post probably had no replies because a/the Portland large tortoiseshell was mentioned just recently on another post:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... f=8&t=1883

I would like to be sure you're talking about the same individual, though. When I read the report it referred to a 'likely candidate' for large toroiseshell - has this been upgraded?

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mark,
Yes, if positively identified, this would be an adult emerging from hibernation. The Large Tortoiseshell does seem to be making an effort to re-establish itself as a resident species. Previously isolated sightings seem to be giving way to more regular appearances in the UK, both of awakened hibernators and more recently emerged immigrants from June onwards. Last summer saw significant numbers spread most of the way along the South Coast, sometimes appearing at the same time as Clouded Yellows and Hummingbird Hawks. Remember, we only ever see 'the tip of the iceberg' and the majority will go unseen, unrecognised and unreported. My father and I went out specifically looking for them, after seeing web reports of recent landings to the East and West of us. We found and photographed one at Littlehampton Bridge, West Sussex within an hour! We've had at least six in Sussex this year, including an April hibernator. However, there is no evidence as yet for anything other than immigrant status. We will have strong, circumstantial evidence for the butterfly breeding here again, only when we see tighter clusters (preferably inland) of pristine specimens. If you look closely, all the currently photographed specimens show at least a little wear and tear. Ours was a (possibly gravid) female, seen very close to some healthy Wych Elms. Fingers crossed!
Neil
markhows

Post by markhows »

Just reporting what was on RBA at the time, really to flag it up, thanks for the update.

Mark
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Mark,
Yes, if positively identified, this would be an adult emerging from hibernation. The Large Tortoiseshell does seem to be making an effort to re-establish itself as a resident species. Previously isolated sightings seem to be giving way to more regular appearances in the UK, both of awakened hibernators and more recently emerged immigrants from June onwards. Last summer saw significant numbers spread most of the way along the South Coast, sometimes appearing at the same time as Clouded Yellows and Hummingbird Hawks. Remember, we only ever see 'the tip of the iceberg' and the majority will go unseen, unrecognised and unreported. My father and I went out specifically looking for them, after seeing web reports of recent landings to the East and West of us. We found and photographed one at Littlehampton Bridge, West Sussex within an hour! We've had at least six in Sussex this year, including an April hibernator. However, there is no evidence as yet for anything other than immigrant status. We will have strong, circumstantial evidence for the butterfly breeding here again, only when we see tighter clusters (preferably inland) of pristine specimens. If you look closely, all the currently photographed specimens show at least a little wear and tear. Ours was a (possibly gravid) female, seen very close to some healthy Wych Elms. Fingers crossed!
Neil
Hi Neil - fascinating account. So - for the benefit of the rest of us - how do you actually go about "looking for Large Tortoiseshell"? Is there a specific type of habitat you search - such as in the vicinity of elms. Or do you focus on nectar sources? etc.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Pete,
My theory was that migrating butterflies might tend to work their way up river valleys, in the same way that birds often do. I next considered the first landfall area with an abundant nectar supply. As I had spent some considerable, recent time here watching White-letter Hairstreaks, the abundance of freshly emerged bramble blossom had not gone unnoticed. The area was positively heaving with nymphalids; so Littlehampton Bridge near the mouth of the Arun valley seemed to be an ideal candidate! A hair-brained theory or not (I later found out from my mother, that this was how my father had reported my theory, following my phone call to him the previous evening!) it worked!
Neil
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

My only British large tortoiseshell sighting was both pristine and inland (and in 1985) :) . A photo of it is on the LT page on this site.

I went LT hunting today (in Switzerland) - without success, but it is too early still, if previous years are a guide. While the trees are still bare they are easy to spot cruising and swooping between short periods of settling. They often take to the trees and cannot be confused with small tortoiseshells, having more of a 'swallowtail' look about them in continuous flight. Post-hibernation is the best time - because they remain on the wing from waking up until they die, which can be a month or so. In the summer they quite rapidly go into hibernation. I think it is definitely worth working along woodland edges looking for this species, even though the chances of finding one are still slim.

Guy

PS - I did see 33 small tortoiseshells today...
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Guy,
Yes, I've seen your photo before. A happy memory I bet! I've sent a couple of shots to Pete, so they should be up there too soon. Always interesting to read what's going on in your part of the world.
Neil
Piers

Post by Piers »

The Portland Bird Observatory website have a photograph of a Large Tortoiseshell taken on the Isle on February 10th.

Felix.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Return to “Sightings”