North East Norfolk Dunes

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jack Harrison

North East Norfolk Dunes

Post by Jack Harrison »

Reports of the storm damage to sand dune habitats at eg Horsey and Winterton (localities for DG Fritillary and Grayling) awaited with trepidation.

Jack Harrison
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

I went to Winterton several times as a kid, and saw loads of DGF's and Graylings there.

There was also a pond in the dunes which had Natterjack toads.

Wonderful place Winterton, I loved it.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I also have to wonder how much sea water got into Broadland itself.

These habitats do of course recover in time. Events such as 1953 (which I remember well as a 14 year old living in Great Yarmouth at the time) and November 2007 are perfectly normal and have occurred throughout history but it is bound to take a few years before things are back to pre-storm levels.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I made a visit today, Thursday 15th November, to Winterton and Horsey.

I am pleased to report that the dune habitat (for DG Fritillary and Grayling) seems to have suffered no damage in last week's storm. There was a small amout of erosion at the seaward edge of the dunes but the beach itself seems to have benefitted from significant deposition of sand (according to knowledgeable local).

Jack Harrison
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

"The Times" on Saturday (in reference to Norfolk bird habitats) mentioned that Stumpshaw Fen suffered some tidal flooding last week. Stumpshaw is of course a Swallowtail locality.

Out of interest, I attach a photo (taken Thursday) of the seaward "cliff" edge of the dunes at Winterton. The DG Fritillary and Grayling habitat is a little way inland from the "cliff" edge and is a large area of more stable dunes.

The cafe is still standing! (But for how much longer?)

Jack

Return to “Sites”