Blues in Sweden

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Paulcrook

Blues in Sweden

Post by Paulcrook »

You may have seen these before but as usual I have misplaced some of my records. Anyone any ideas re the ID of these butterflies? All the pictures were taken at the end of June last year.

Thanks
Paul Crook

Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I am nearly sure the last two are Holly Blues. I don't really know rest now.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
JKT

Post by JKT »

I would venture to say:
Polyommatus semiargus
Polyommatus amandus
Polyommatus icarus
Polyommatus icarus
Polyommatus icarus
Celastrina argiolus
Celastrina argiolus
but there is a small question mark on the worn female amandus and a big problem with the icaruses: there is also a record of Polyommatus dorylas from Sweden and I have no idea how common it is there, nor do I know off-hand how to tell it apart from icarus. Padfield?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The second one is a geranium argus, Eumedonia eumedon. One of the key identifiers for this species is that 99% of the time it is sitting on a geranium!

Guy
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You don't have any glimpses of the uns for 3, 4 and 5, do you? Even rubbish pictures might help pin down the species.

Guy
JKT

Post by JKT »

padfield wrote:The second one is a geranium argus, Eumedonia eumedon.
I really should have noticed the forewing dots. :oops:
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

JKT, I just happen to have a thriving colony of geranium arguses in my garden so it's one of those butterflies that I can recognise instantly on jizz. :)

I'm sure JKT is right about the semiargus and argiolus (and Dave for the argiolus).

It's true that the other male blue looks very good indeed for dorylas. The hind margin is not as clean white as the dorylas in Switzerland (this butterfly has half-greying) but apart from that it is classic in every way. I would certainly consider that a possibility if the picture was taken in S.E. Sweden or one of the islands off the Swedish coast. And if it was, could those female blues possibly even be Reverdin's, P. argyrognomon?? Is it possible that is crown vetch the first one is sitting on?

The tiniest hint of a glimpse of the underside of any of them would settle the score, I think!! Tantalising!

Guy
Paulcrook

Blues in Sweden

Post by Paulcrook »

Thanks for the replies. I only have an underside picture of one of the blues, picture 4. Pictures 4 and 5 were taken in close proximity to each other so I wonder if they are the same species. Not neccesarily the case but quite possible.
Paul
Paulcrook

Blues in Sweden

Post by Paulcrook »

Forgot to add the picture -sorry.

Paul

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Aha!! That is icarus, as JKT first said, so in the absence of any further clues I think the females should be called icarus too.

Guy

Return to “Overseas”