Camberwell Beauty In Norfolk

Discussion forum for sightings.
sandraandkevin

Camberwell Beauty In Norfolk

Post by sandraandkevin »

Just seen a sighting on Birdguides. Camberwell Beauty briefly seen at Holme-next-the sea today.

I wondering if this is the start of an influx or is it too late in the year?
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

...YESSS!!!! :D

I've JUST been trying to get a shot of one from my garden near Cambridge. My daughter spotted it fluttering around a greengage tree whilst we were eating our evening meal. I finally managed a distant shot of it when it was sitting on the house at the bottom of my garden. They are away, so I couldn't get any closer. Unfortunately, although it had several sortees around their garden, it would not stray into mine. I was hoping it may roost on the house overnight and choose MY house to warm up on tomorrow, but it went up and over the roof a few minutes ago. Distant (and probably VERY blurred) pic to follow.

Happy Trev

Edit: Here's the best shot from over the garden fence!

Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Kick up hell, go ring the bell
I've just seen a Camberwell!
It simply is a case of duty
To tell you all I've seen the Beauty!

:P

Bryan
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Trev Sawyer wrote:They are away, so I couldn't get any closer.
Sounds like a contradition to me - and I would have been over that fence even if they were in :)

Good find!

Cheers,

- Pete
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

You jammy sod Sawyer! I guess that compensates for missing out on the Purple Emperors at Fermyn last month?
DJT
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Pete Eeles wrote:- and I would have been over that fence even if they were in :)
Sounds like you've had a lot of practice, Pete!

:wink:

Bryan
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I WAS sorely tempted Pete, but the fence is pretty high (I was standing on a garden chair to get the photo) and I 'ain't as fit as I used to be :wink:
The butterfly was above their conservatory too, so I chickened out. I probably already looked a bit of a perv to my other neighbours... I certainly felt a bit embarrassed, gawking over a fence at someones bedroom window armed with a long lens and a pair of binoculars!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the butterfly won't have gone far and will return to inspect my Buddhelia tomorrow morning, when the sun will be shining on MY wall.

Trev
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Bryan H wrote:
Pete Eeles wrote:- and I would have been over that fence even if they were in :)
Sounds like you've had a lot of practice, Pete!

:wink:

Bryan
Yeah - I've jumped my fair share of fences, been shot at by a farmer (but not for the last 30 years) and, more recently (this year), was buzzed by a police helicopter; I was photographing Grizzled Skippers on a private site - honest guv :)

The most important thing, of course, is that I got the photo :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Trev Sawyer wrote:I certainly felt a bit embarrassed, gawking over a fence at someones bedroom window armed with a long lens and a pair of binoculars!!
That's perfectly normal behaviour in my book - all in the name of butterfly-watching, of course :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

What a sighting, Trev!! That would be a childhood dream come true for me if I saw one, but I'm very happy to share in yours vicariously. And the picture over the fence is fine - it captures the excitement of the sighting. You can always go abroad if what you want is a super-duper close-up of a Camberwell Beauty. Well done!

Guy
eccles

Post by eccles »

The most important thing, of course, is that I got the photo
In the old days the police might open the back of the camera and expose the film, or just confiscate it. Now you can show them all the pics on the screen to prove your innocence. (or guilt as the case may be :D)
Well spotted Trev. We never get those in the Wes Vinglun.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Thanks Guys...
As you say, a childhood dream come true. Strangely, I was talking to an entomologist recently about childhood dreams of spotting a rare butterfly in your own garden and how youthful optimism meant that you half EXPECTED to see some weird unknown swallowtail nectaring on a bush. I certainly never allowed a butterfly to enter my field of view without giving it a double-take... just in case. I'm sure many on this site are the same and this knack of spotting things out of the corner of your eye never leaves you. Fortunately, my children seen to have been instilled with the same 'instinct' and as I said, it was my 12-year-old daughter who can claim the glory in this instance. She was facing in the right direction at the dinner table (I MUST swap places :wink: ) and noticed the jizz of a strange insect in next door neighbour's tree. She automatically knew it was too large to be anything 'normal' and as soon as she told me, I knew it must be something special. All four of us crept out into our garden to locate what she had seen. Within seconds, it was in the air and a frantic race was on to get the camera and binoculars. When it landed on the wall of another house, the whole family spent quite some time fighting over the binoculars and all got good views.
Yes, maybe we butterfly fanatics ARE a little mad, but the excitement we get from something like this is incredible. Keep your eyes open guys (and gals)... next time it could be you!

Trev

PS: Just noticed that two more were spotted in Essex yesterday:
http://www.cambs-essex-butterflies.org. ... tings.html

They're out there, so TODAY may be your day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Yes Trev, I well remember seeing my first painted lady among the peacocks and tortoiseshells on a neighbour's buddleia, and for all I knew, next day it could have been a purple emperor or a high brown fritillary. I take it the camberwell beauty did not reappear the following day?

I wonder how many camberwell bauties go unnoticed and unreported? Let's face it, 99% of the population would dismiss it as just another butterfly, or perhaps as something a bit different but in no way worthy of further enquiry. I bet there are more around than we realize.
DJT
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Sadly not Dave!... I've been on the lookout, but it was obviously only a refuelling stop. One WAS spotted in South CAMBS yesterday I think... Maybe the same one, maybe not.

Trev

Return to “Sightings”