Milkweed

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
George

Milkweed

Post by George »

I have been offered some Monarch larvae and have been trying to find somewhere that can supply the Milkweed as foodplant. Does anyone have any knowledge of where I might be able to buy some from? I don't think that the larvae will eat anything else unfortunately!

Thanks
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi George,
I've looked at all the places that I buy "wild flowers" from and can only find American milkweed seeds, which are no good to you at this time. Try asking the larvae supplier. Good luck.
Denise
Lance

Post by Lance »

Yes I'm afraid it is a bit late in the season now. I had some seeds which i planted in the Spring but only a few germinated and are not very big :roll:
can't your supplier help?
Regards Lance
George

Post by George »

Thanks for your help - I managed to find some in a local garden centre! They didn't know they had them in stock.

Thanks again for your help

George
champ

Re: Milkweed

Post by champ »

If anyone is breeding Monarchs this summer the foodplant i use is Asclepias curassavica.It is a tropical plant,easy from seed from now on started in a little heat.Chiltern seeds have it listed as A c Red butterfly ive grown this its much the same!.The larvae love it.Save some seed for next year.It is possible to overwinter stock plants as long as they are kept above 5c. 8)..How did yours do last year george?.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”