Hello

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Denise

Hello

Post by Denise »

Hi all, I am new to this site and fairly new to butterfly watching. I saw my first memorable butterfly (Purple Emperor) last July in France and i've been hooked ever since. My "patch" is my garden in north east Bristol and I have planted lots of different stuff to attract butterflies.
So far I have seen, Large, Small and Green-viened White, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper,Meadow Brown,Ringlet, Painted Lady,Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Peacock, Holly Blue, Large, Small and Essex Skipper.
I am having a go at taking a few photo's of them, this gives me great pleasure and I hope to be good enough to post on here one day. I think the photo's on here are outstanding.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites that are local to my neck of the woods as I don't drive, but would like to improve my skills and my butterfly list.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Denise
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hello Denise, and welcome :D

The sites section should help you out...this link is your area...http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_ng ... pecies=All

Martin.
Cotswold Cockney

Re: Hello

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Denise wrote:Hi all, I am new to this site and fairly new to butterfly watching. I saw my first memorable butterfly (Purple Emperor) last July in France and i've been hooked ever since. My "patch" is my garden in north east Bristol and I have planted lots of different stuff to attract butterflies.
So far I have seen, Large, Small and Green-viened White, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper,Meadow Brown,Ringlet, Painted Lady,Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Peacock, Holly Blue, Large, Small and Essex Skipper.
I am having a go at taking a few photo's of them, this gives me great pleasure and I hope to be good enough to post on here one day. I think the photo's on here are outstanding.
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites that are local to my neck of the woods as I don't drive, but would like to improve my skills and my butterfly list.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Denise
Hi Denise,

Within an hour's drive in any direction of where you live are some fine sites where you can quickly add to your list. Although you do not drive, maybe some friend could take you in their car.

Research local areas within easy reach and then venture further afield.

Good luck. It's a nice way to spend some time outdoors and we all have some beautiful scenery not very far away.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks guys.
looking forward to seeing more species.
Watch this space
Denise
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Denise! i used to live in Bristol before I got a car... I used to walk up over the suspension bridge and visit Leigh Woods and Ashton court meadows. You can see many species there that you won't find in your garden including Common Blue, Marbled White, White-letter and Purple Hairstreak and Silver-washed Fritillary
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks Chris.

I will give that a go. Cheers

Denise
Peewit

Post by Peewit »

Hi Denise

I want to say my hello's here too :D

Still finding out about my own area at the moment (as I have just moved from Scotland to England recently)

I will keep my ear to the ground and let you know of any interesting finds here :D
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Kathy
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Denise,

Another good local site for you is Lord's Wood about a mile from Pensford, which is easily reached by bus from central Bristol. Lord's Wood is one of the few places locally with White Admirals, and also many Silver-washed Fritillaries and a few Scarlet Tiger moths. In spring parts of it have an impressive carpet of bluebells.

Collard Hill (and its Large Blues) and the East Poldens butterfly sites can be reached on (I think) bus route 376, though the journey takes well over an hour.

Chris.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks Chris,

Pensford is not that far from me so if we get a reasonable day, i'll give it a go.
Cheers,
Denise
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Hi Denise,

I like in Bath and I do all my butterfly spotting - mostly when out hiking through the countryside - using public transport. There are some great places south of Bristol (and probably north, but I haven't got round to exploring that area much), and I often get a train to Temple Meads to connect to the buses.

There are a couple of publications that you might care to get hold that will help you locate places with butterfly interest:

Butterfly Walks in Somerset and Bristol produced by the Somerset Branch of Butterfly Conservation, and The Butterflies of the Bristol region published by the Bristol Regional Environmental Centre.

With the usual requirement of luck and patience, they should help you to get your butterfly list close to 40 species or so, without you having to travel too far.

Simon
Denise

Post by Denise »

Thanks Simon.

I'll have a look in the library tommorrow. They often sell local publications such as this. I'm sure that it will help me loads.

Denise

Return to “General”