North East England

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

North East England

Post by Trev Sawyer »

OK guys (and Gals),
Are there any decent sites up near the Scottish borders on the Eastern side of England where some of the Northern species may be found at present. I may well be up near Berwick on Tweed sometime next week and although it isn't a butterfly trip, I may have a few hours to spot some species new to me, so a few starting places would be gratefully received. Any suggestions welcome.

Wrong side of the Country I fear?

Trev
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

How about St. Abb's head, meant to be good for Argus and Blues (not been myself), and not sure what's around at the moment, but it might be worth a try?
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yep, that's one place I will definitely try - stupidly, I didn't realise how close it was :oops:
That may give me a NBA. Scotch Argus would probably be a bit further afield, if indeed there are any left!?

Trev
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I noticed from our sites page that 'Hare and Dunhog Moss' near Selkirk has Scotch Argus... On investigating further, I found that there is generally no access to Dunhog moss, but there is a bird hide on Hare Moss to which there must be a path. Has anyone actually been to this site and if so, where do you gain access/any tips for finding the butterflies there?

Cheers,

Trev

Return to “Sites”