Sony A100

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Tom Ottley

Sony A100

Post by Tom Ottley »

Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad!) about the Sony A100 DSLR? I've not tried one myself but what I like about it, on paper at least, is the image stabilisation built into the body which could mean I could use cheaper, lighter lenses.

I should say that at the moment I use the Canon S3 and one of the things I really like about it is the IS. When I upgrade to a DSLR I don't want to lose that feature and there seem to be very few stabilised macro lenses around.

All comments gratefully received!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I don't know anything about the Sony A100. But I do know that with my Canon, I have access to all the Canon lenses plus all the Sigma and Tamaron range. I'm not sure how many lenses Sony make and wether any third party make lenses to fit on a Sony, but I think that would be my first concideration.

Gruditch
Martin

Post by Martin »

For an in-depth test look on http://www.dpreview.com/

Martin.
Tom Ottley

Post by Tom Ottley »

Thanks Gruditch I was a bit concerned about that too. I know Sigma offer at least some of their lenses in a Sony mount.

The on-line reviews / comparisons show Canon (specifically the 400D) to be ahead for several factors such as noise and colour balance so it's going to be a brave decision to move away from them. I know many if not most of the subscribers to UK Butterflies use Canons (I met several of them yesterday at Noar Hill) but I just wanted to look around and weigh up the options before taking the plunge. Another interesting camera is the Pentax K10D. I like the weather-sealing for example but it seems a bit hefty compared to the 400D.
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hey I was at Noar Hill yesterday too :)

Gruditch
Tom Ottley

Post by Tom Ottley »

Yes I was with you! We never did find your DOB again. Nice to see you all though and there's always another day.

Return to “Photography”