Some negatives

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Some negatives

Post by Jack Harrison »

31st July. Nil Brown Hairstreaks at Bernwood. Nil Silver Spotted Skippers on Watlington Hill and amazingly no Chalkhill Blues there either. But one female DG Fritillary.

Jack
Martin

Post by Martin »

1st of August...nil Brown Hairstreaks at Bernwood again :(

Martin.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I concentrated on the West-East road where I saw one BH last August. I'll return in ten days to a fortnight.

I believe Aston Rowant south of the M40 is better for SS Skippers but have never tried there. You can bet the M40 cutting itself has very good populations but I don't suppose anyone has been able to find out. I saw several at Watlington last year on 6 August but failed to get any photos of the very flighty butterflies. My only photos of them (slides) date back to the 1970s but I don't suppose evolution has changed them much since then!

Jack
Martin

Post by Martin »

Bryan H and I went to Aston Rowant on the way home and saw Silver-spotted Skipper...didn't feel too bad about not seeing Brown Hairstreak after that :)

Martin.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You blighter! :cry:

I must try harder.

I must try harder.

I must try harder.

Which is the best spot at Aston Rowant? Map reference if you don't mind.

Jack
Martin

Post by Martin »

Bryan has the map...I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell you :)

Martin.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I used to go to Aston Rowant in the late eighties for silver-spotted skippers - I'm so glad they still fly there.

It is still early for brown hairstreaks, and different sites often produce the insects at different times. I used to find they emerged earlier at Whitecross Green (from mid-July) than in Bernwood (where I saw them mostly on the Shabingdon side, and where they persisted well into September).

I spent two hours today at a brown hairstreak site in Switzerland, where I saw and photographed them at the end of August last year. Not a single hairstreak (but I had a wonderful time looking for them).

Guy
Martin

Post by Martin »

Saw a few other nice b/flys...

And there are those mites again :(

Martin.
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Ah yes!

Sorry, Jack! Having a few problems with the CD player tonight. It's definitely on its way out. Just managed to get Sibelius's Symphony No 1, Op.39, (Ashkenazy, Philharmonia) on the go.

Now then! Silver-Spotted Skipper.

Yes, south side of M40 at Aston Rowant. Upper slopes of the meadow beneath the signed footpath. Map reference not much help, I'm afraid. Best bet is to hire Martin for the day. He's got an eye for these critters.

Sorry if that's not much help! I'm working on a poem about Brown Hairstreak called, "Absent Friends"

Bryan
Last edited by Bryan H on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

padfield wrote:
I spent two hours today at a brown hairstreak site in Switzerland, where I saw and photographed them at the end of August last year. Not a single hairstreak (but I had a wonderful time looking for them).

Guy
Not the hot springs dans la region de Gurnigelblad, Guy?

Bryan
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Nope. No femmes chaudes either. But I was serenaded by this cicada - not something most people expect to find in the Alps:

Guy
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Guy, that must have been such a sound of the cicada's. Seen them on TV and they were loud. One creature I'd love to see on year.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Jack,

Just realised I took this shot at Aston Rowant yesterday from near to where the Silver-spotteds are:

This meadow is on a south-west facing slope and the picture is looking north-west to Hill Farm. Approximate map reference is 727964.

The SSPs were few and far between near the top of this meadow. Hope this helps!

Bryan

Return to “Sightings”