Heddons Mouth (Exmoor)

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Rogerdodge

Heddons Mouth (Exmoor)

Post by Rogerdodge »

Visited this excellent site for High Brown today.
HBFs were in abundance, but high winds made photography pretty near impossible.
Lots of SWFs as well, with two 'coupled' pairs.
Really huge numbers of Holly Blue (best I have ever seen) with some mud puddling.
The most interesting sight for me was a pair of spiralling hairstreaks - I had to run and struggle to keep an eye on them, thinking
"What can they be - no WLHs here, Green are well over, so it must be the elusive (for me) Purple Hairstreak."
Eventually one broke away and descende to a bramble bush 25 yards away! I ran over, and got the camera ready.
It was a Green Hairstreak. I have never seen one this late before. I got a picture (attached).
Does this qualify as the worst photograph of the tattiest butterfly ever posted?
The only thing (apart from the wind) that marred the day was the unbelievable amount of irritating flies of many different species.
I got bitten at least 3 times, and had to leave one fantastic meadow as I was literally covered in a swarm of tiny, black, buzzing, (but not biting) flies.
In all my years watching natural history all over the country, I can never remember being so bothered by flies.
Still, one or two good photos, a sun burnt bald patch, and soaked feet - but a happy chap!!
Large White
GV White
Small White
Large Skipper
Small Skipper
Small Copper
Holly Blue
Green Hairstreak
Comma
Red Admiral
Peacock
Small Tortoiseshell
Meadow Brown
Gatekeeper
Ringlet
HBF
SWF
17 species in one day (You know what that means don't you Gruditch :wink:)
p.s. Just found 2 tics - makes 5 for the year - eeeuuugh!!!!
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've had three tics this year - never had any before are they more prevelant in this damp summer? Anyway one was embedded on my dinkle so I should get extra points for that ;-)
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Went over to Magdalen Down yesterday and got 15 species, including our first Chalkhill Blues of the year. No tics, but my camera conked out though. :evil:

Gruditch

Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Brilliant shot Gruditch.
But, what has heppened to the camera?
Nothing permanent I hope!!
Roger
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Yep dead I'm afraid, the shutter button stopped working, I'll get a price to see if its worth fixing. I didn't want to be cameraless, so i went out and got a 30d lens kit. But as I'm saving up to re-do the Koi pond and really didn't need the expence. The other half convinced me it would be better if she looked after it, and now i got her old 10d. Have i been done :?

Gruditch
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Not fair - this means she will be taking even better photos than she did before!
Give us a chance...........
Roger
(You're not letting her use the 150 are you?!)
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

She got her own :cry:

I just enterd this in the BBC Wildfife extreme close up comp, no chance but what the heck!.

Gruditch

Return to “Sites”