Peacocks about to explode?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Dave McCormick

Peacocks about to explode?

Post by Dave McCormick »

Sorry for intresting "odd" subject heading. But is this a good year for peacock butterflies. Seen hundreds of caterpillars of them latley and got 16 home to breed. They are almost fully grown and seems that world wide butterflies: wwb.co.uk is selling eggs by 100 as is been so sucessful with them.

Is this a good sign?
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

All species have huge population fluctuations ~ the once widespread and commom Wall Brown I remember as a boy in the 1940-50s is now a rare sight for me. About 20 years since I've seen one pass through my garden.

Back in 1976, the Marsh Fritillary had a population explosion in Glos. Every field trip turned it up in huge numbers in sites I kept an eye on, including examples in very unlikely localities. In 1977, I saw one fresh example only in all those favoured sites.

That single sighting was in a locality which was once one of the finest hillside localities for the Cotswold race of the Large Blue.

The Small Tortoiseshell is one of our most attractive butterflies ~ often held in less high regard simply because of it usually being so common. I for one rejoice to see 'common' species like the beautiful Common Blue and Peacock this year in such good numbers ~ the latter to my eyes one of the most beautiful insects on the planet.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

We saw these beauties today. :)

Gruditch

Return to “Sightings”