Butterfly sites near Zurich

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Bertl

Butterfly sites near Zurich

Post by Bertl »

I am visiting Zurich on 8th April for a few days. I may have half a day to look for butterflies. Can anyone recommend any sites near Zurich and advise if many species around at this time of year.

Cheers

Bert.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Butterfly sites near Zurich

Post by Padfield »

Hi Bert. My hunting grounds are mostly further south, in the Rhône Valley Alps and the Pré-Alpes, so sadly I can't advise on sites near Zürich. I suspect that for the really interesting spring species, you will be in the wrong place, but there will definitely be plenty on the wing by 8th April. Large tortoiseshells will be common, and if you can find a suitable site, Camberwell beauties will be out in good numbers. This map gives a global idea of where: https://lepus.infofauna.ch/carto/31191. More locally, look for wooded sites with running water. Wood whites will be flying and violet fritillaries should be easy to find in meadows. If you have specific species in mind, the map site I just linked to for Camberwell beauty will tell you if they are in the area, but not, of course, exactly where. Grizzled skippers will be on the wing - and in the Zürich area they will be malvae (not malvoides). Mallow skippers usually appear even before grizzlies. For the blues, look out for Provençal short-tailed, which is the commoner of the two short-tailed blues in Switzerland and usually begins flying before short-tailed.

Welcome to my country!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Thanks Guy. Hopefully I will manage a few.

My best.

Bert.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

If you would like a site near to Zurich, you could try Erdmannlistein - take the train to Dietikon, then the local train to Wohlen - Erdmannlistein is a wooded area past Bremgarten. I think you are most likely to see UK typical species such as Orange Tip, Brimstone, Speckled Wood.

A better idea if you have time is to make it all the way to the Rhone Valley to Leuk. Trains leave Zurich for Visp, then change to go to Leuk.
Times - Zurich 1202 - Leuk 1415, leave Leuk at 1642 arrive Zurich 1858. This gives 2.5 hours at Leuk - there are other trains about every 30 minutes.

At Leuk you can see the typical UK species such as Orange Tip, Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Small White, Comma, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Small Heath, Wall, Common Blue, Holly Blue, Dingy Skipper.

But also more Swiss species such as Bath White, Queen of Spain Fritillary, Clouded Yellow, Chequered Blue, Provencal Short-tailed Blue, Wood White, Camberwell Beauty, Large Tortoiseshell, Swallowtail, Southern Grizzled Skipper.

Try the path at the back of the station - between station and river. Also walk back to the tunnel and over river and railway and down path on other side of the river, at least as far as the waterfall - but better to go as far as the second seat. Near the waterfall is where I have seen Camberwell Beauty and Large Tortoiseshell. If you see about 10 of the species named above I think you will be doing well. See attached photos.

Jason
Attachments
Bath White, Leuk, 07.06.22
Bath White, Leuk, 07.06.22
Queen of Spain Fritillary, Leuk, 07.04.13
Queen of Spain Fritillary, Leuk, 07.04.13
Leuk, Path at back of station, 06.07.23
Leuk, Path at back of station, 06.07.23
Leuk, Path by Rhone, 19.04.15
Leuk, Path by Rhone, 19.04.15
Rhone Valley, Leuk, Ergischorn, 08.06.17
Rhone Valley, Leuk, Ergischorn, 08.06.17
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Thanks Jason.

If I have the time and weather is kind, Leuk seems to be a great butterfly spot.

Bert.

Return to “Overseas”