Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

We’ve reached the half-way point! It’s generally around this point that I remind everyone that the grand finale in only 10 weeks time will be the favourite overall butterfly photo so hopefully you’ve already made your selection so as not to ‘use it up’ during the individual species threads :wink: .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Skipper

Last year I only managed one trip to my homeland during the flight of this species and only managed a single sighting. I decided to rectify that this year and so after a fantastic morning with Whitters and Purps at Alners Gorse I headed over to Bindon Hill to find the Lulworths at their source. Deposit fog so thick you could cut it with a knife I wasn’t disappointed and the little golden beauties were buzzing about all over the hillside. So this meant that I was confronted by a pleasing problem; which to pick? In the end after much internal debate and deliberation this one came out on top as it was of a gloriously fresh male showing off the diagnostic features nicely. There’s the thinner, less crooked sex brand, the sandy rather than white margins and the overall matt appearance of the ground colour with a slightly olive tinge. Even better if you look really closely you can just make out the faintest of crescent moons on the rear of the fore wings. A cracking little butterfly to look at but also to just sit back, watch and enjoy!
LuS 6 24-06-2023a 25.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

An easy choice, this one, as I only saw the one example of the species this year.

I stopped off at Lulworth itself on 24th May on my way home from Devon knowing that their long season usually starts around then, and was lucky enough to find this lone male not far from Stair Hole.
LWS3 240523.JPG
I had been unable to wander up Bindon Hill as because of military activity and didn't manage any other sightings of the species.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've still to add this species to my in-cop list, this is the closest I've got.
Lulworth Skipper courting, Durlston Country Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Saw this species quite often on the continent but I can't find any images I took so I must have neglected them.

Note for self - make more of an effort in 2024!

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”