September 2023

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

September 2023

Post by David M »

Been a fairly miserable August, but the kids are going back to school and the weather is typically going to improve enormously. With any luck a few migrants might make their way across La Manche...
Jack Harrison

Re: September 2023

Post by Jack Harrison »

My first ever (I think) September Scotch Argus at the usual spot just along the road from where I live.

On buddleia overhanging my garden, numerous Peacocks and Red Admirals and one Comma (recall that it is a relatively new colonist in this area).  Several Small Whites and, unusually, one Speckled Wood nectaring.

Jack
Attachments
23-09-01-036-RedAdmiral.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Good stuff, Jack.

Had Peacock, Red Admiral, Large, Small White and Speckled Wood in the garden today, but I can't compete with Scotch Argus. :( :mrgreen:
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

White Sheet Hill (Wiltshire), 2 September 2023

Still life in the season yet...
P1050551.jpg
Meadow Brown the most numerous species, joined by Small Heath (bright examples, looking fresh), Brown Argus (worn), Common Blue, Adonis Blue (males worn, females fresh) and Small White.

Surprising to see how many very fresh Meadow Browns were about - including quite a few fresh-looking males, which have long since gone from the wider countryside.
P1050596.jpg
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Still lots of red admirals, around 30 and peacocks circa 15 busy demolishing all the buddleia in my garden. Nothing better than sitting with a cuppa in the garden and watching these fantastic creatures gliding past.
Attachments
DSC_4662.jpeg
DSC_4699.jpeg
DSC_4985.jpeg
DSC_4999.jpeg
DSC_5053.jpeg
DSC_5101.jpeg
DSC_5159.jpeg
DSC_5303.jpeg
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

September 3rd 2023
Near Lincoln 25°C, Woken up and a hint of possible future climate changed decline.
Had not seen a Peacock butterfly for about 2 or 3 weeks. To explain this clearly, specifically, daily, micro-local temperature highs were a big factor, in keeping this species asleep, until Spring nettle growth, after winter, where larvae grew.
We saw at least two today, having left longer term sleeping positions in autumnal progression. The more times Peacock butterflies left hibernating positions in micro-climatic temperature rise, between September and April, the less chance they had of surviving to breed in the following Spring.
Only a very small insignificant minority, were known to brood a second annual generation in the UK.
Lots of Red Admirals and fresh Comma, that were not as dopey as the Peacocks.
Feeding to hibernate
Feeding to hibernate
Kind Regards,
millerd

Post by millerd »

Fresh Adonis Blues still flying down at Denbies today...
AB1 030923.JPG
AB2 030923.JPG
...as well as Chalkhills - all looking worn, but with this one exception...
ChB1 030923.JPG
...and Silver-spotted Skippers.
SSS2 030923.JPG
One of the SSS was on the BLEP at the bottom of the hillside (which I was scanning for evidence of LTBs). Because it was backlit and looked dark I initially thought it was a Grizzly.
SSS1 030923.JPG
An uncharacteristically approachable new Small White was worth a shot too.
SW1 030923.JPG
These highlights were seen amidst high numbers of Brown Argus, Small Heath and various anonymous female blues.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Bertl wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:23 pmStill lots of red admirals, around 30 and peacocks circa 15 busy demolishing all the buddleia in my garden. Nothing better than sitting with a cuppa in the garden and watching these fantastic creatures gliding past.
I'll bet! What a bonanza, Bertl.

A couple of weeks ago we had plenty on the buddleias on my estate but apart from Red Admirals and the odd Peacock they've all seemingly vanished now.
David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 2nd, Teifi Marshes, Pembrokeshire:

Speckled Wood 21
Brown Hairstreak 7
Small Tortoiseshell 4
Meadow Brown 3
Common Blue 3
Small White 3
Comma 2
Hedge Brown 2
Large White 1
Red Admiral 1
Peacock 1
Green Veined White 1
02S.BH1(1).jpg
02S.BH2(1).jpg
02S.BH5(1).jpg
02.BH3(1).jpg
02S.SmTort(1).jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Seen on Saturday on the Isle of Wight. Two good condition butterflies not often seen together on the same flower.
Attachments
53157598931_63767751c7_o.jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Ist time visit to Orlestone Park, in Kent, on Saturday (70 mile round trip).
Headed straight for the "Scabious Meadow", in search of some Red Admiral action!
Spent a good few hours on location, an captured some interesting images. No sign of the reported female Clouded Yellow though.
Just as i was leaving, i met Allan. W. It seems its Allans local patch. Pleased to meet you Allan, although i had imagined you to be a little older mate :D
Some highlight images, cheers Paul. Open wing shots are cropped some, but the closed wing shots are not cropped.

Red Admiral.
P1265973-to-800.jpg
P1265839-copy-to-800.jpg

Brimstone.
P1254763-copy-to-800.jpg
P1265213-copy-to-800.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thankyou ! I,ll take that as a compliment Paul :) ! Good to meet you as well ..............you were a fair way from home ! shame you never found your Cloudie (although i see you did pretty well at Cliffe !) the section where you were searching in Orlestone can be good for Small Coppers and Common Blues ,and a few years back was an excellent Grizzled Skipper spot ,alas no more and these days they,re not far off extinction in the forest ,that said they,re hardy little devils and could still just be hanging on somewhere around .
I left shortly after your good self ,but did nip back the following day as i was passing, for about half hour ,best finds 2 battle worn Silver -Wash (males )and 2 pristine Painted Ladies . and several Small Coppers (in another section )
Hoping to have more time on my hands next season ..........................retiring at Christmas ............ a year early ! :wink: .

ps; Superb images there Paul !
Regards Allan.W.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Are there any brown hairstreak in the north Bedfordshire area? Otherwise in Hampshire or West Sussex now?
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

A visit to Denbies yesterday resulted in:

Meadow Brown 52
Speckled Wood 6
Small Heath 25
Small White 3
Brimstone 5
Silver-spotted Skipper 4
Chalkhill Blue 7
Adonis Blue 14
Brown Argus 26
Brown Hairstreak 1
Comma 1
Red Admiral 1

Quiet for birds but 5 raptor species: Peregrine, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Red Kite & Buzzard.

Good to see Stripe-winged & Rufous Grasshoppers too.
David M

Post by David M »

Testudo Man wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:41 pmIst time visit to Orlestone Park, in Kent, on Saturday (70 mile round trip)...
Nice shots, Paul, especially that first Brimstone. :mrgreen:
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 3rd, Port Eynon, Gower:

Small White 60-80
Meadow Brown 40-50
Red Admiral 15
Common Blue 11
Large White 7
Small Tortoiseshell 6
Speckled Wood 6
Painted Lady 3
Clouded Yellow 1
Wall Brown 1
Green Veined White 1
03S.CY(1).jpg
03S.PL(1).jpg
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Ian Pratt wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:49 pm Are there any brown hairstreak in the north Bedfordshire area? Otherwise in Hampshire or West Sussex now?
Brown Hairstreaks are still flying in Surrey, 4 seen yesterday, so probably still in Hampshire and West Sussex for a few weeks.
DSC02153s.JPG
DSC02360s.JPG
DSC02437s.JPG
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Allan.W. wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:11 pm Thankyou ! I,ll take that as a compliment Paul :) ! Good to meet you as well ..............you were a fair way from home ! shame you never found your Cloudie (although i see you did pretty well at Cliffe !) the section where you were searching in Orlestone can be good for Small Coppers and Common Blues ,and a few years back was an excellent Grizzled Skipper spot ,alas no more and these days they,re not far off extinction in the forest ,that said they,re hardy little devils and could still just be hanging on somewhere around .
I left shortly after your good self ,but did nip back the following day as i was passing, for about half hour ,best finds 2 battle worn Silver -Wash (males )and 2 pristine Painted Ladies . and several Small Coppers (in another section )
Hoping to have more time on my hands next season ..........................retiring at Christmas ............ a year early ! :wink: .

ps; Superb images there Paul !
Regards Allan.W.
Lets hope your local "Grizzlies" can hang on in there.
I did go to Cliffe again on the Sunday, saw 4 Cloudie sightings through the day, but not one of them landed! so no pics.
Yes, i saw one of the worn Silver-washed Fritillary on the Saturday, i also saw a very faded/worn Painted Lady, but no fresh ones.
Well, if your retiring soon, you know what that means...more Butterfly time. :wink:
Im a few years away from retiring, however, will i ever retire :roll:

Thanks about my images Allan, im always trying to improve.
Cheers Paul.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:50 am
Testudo Man wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:41 pmIst time visit to Orlestone Park, in Kent, on Saturday (70 mile round trip)...
Nice shots, Paul, especially that first Brimstone. :mrgreen:
Thanks David...i got it bit lucky with that open wing/nectaring Brimstone shot.
Well, i say lucky, but i did set the camera on "burst mode", combined with a pretty fast shutter speed, trying for open wing shots.
Burst mode is a bit new for me(only the 2nd time ive tried it)...i just wish i would have used burst mode all through the year/season, because i might have had a few more open wing shots up my sleave :roll:
Cheers Paul.
David M

Post by David M »

Two more Clouded Yellows seen coming in from the sea at Rhossili Head on the SW tip of the Gower this afternoon.

Return to “Sightings”