Brown Hairstreak - Torquay Area

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Lawts

Brown Hairstreak - Torquay Area

Post by Lawts »

Hi I'm down in the Torquay area for a short break during the last week of August. I'm with family, so the opportunities to disappear will be limited.
However if there were any sites within a half hour or so drive from Torquay, I'd appreciate the information.
Thanks.
Devon Dave

Re: Brown Hairstreak - Torquay Area

Post by Devon Dave »

Hi,
Preston Down is in my opinion the best site by far in the Torquay area and is very well known for its Brown Hairstreaks with females coming to egg lay in the Blackthorn hedges that form the boundaries of the grass down site.Nearest postcode I know is the Post office just up the road from the site is TQ3 1DS. As you probably know the Brown Hairstreak is quite elusive and patience in searching the hedgerows is required. Some years I spend a whole day there and dont see one and on other days I spot three or four in a couple of hours there. Hope that helps and good luck.Devon Dave.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Brilliant. Thanks Dave.
Presume I access at this point, and just check the hedgerows and tree tops, particularly Ash?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230714_122750_Maps.jpg
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Anywhere in this area? Devon Butterfly-Conservation suggesting the south-east of this area?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230714_221654_OS Maps.jpg

Return to “Sites”