Greenwings: North Greece, 6th - 12th June 2023

David M

Greenwings: North Greece, 6th - 12th June 2023

Post by David M »

This was a tremendous tour, based in a beautiful hotel with superb views over Lake Kerkini.

Unlike much of western Europe, Greece has had plenty of rain over the last few weeks meaning that the landscape was green, lush & verdant. That said, we soon realised that butterfly emergences were running about a week behind where they were on this same tour last year.

Of course, that meant we missed out on some species we were expecting, but by compensation we got several we weren't anticipating, including a few spectacular ones.

Here is a taste of the surroundings in this lovely part of northern Greece:
0.Habitat5.jpg
0.Habitat1(1).jpg
0.Habitat2(1).jpg
0.Habitat3(1).jpg
0.Habitat4(1).jpg
David M

Re: Greenwings: North Greece, 6th - 12th June 2023

Post by David M »

Freyer's Purple Emperor

This one came out of nowhere on the final full day.

We were in a clearing in a large forest close to the Bulgarian border when one of the group shouted that an Emperor was flying around a damp patch of track.

It never settled for very long but I managed to get this open wing image:
1.FrPE1(1).jpg
I wasn't sure whether it was the clytie form of ilia at first, but when my co-guide, Jon, showed me his image (below) which he had patiently waited for to obtain the purple iridescence, something clicked in my mind:
1.MetisJD(1).jpg
It just didn't look right for ilia, meaning that it could only be one thing - the 'Holy Grail' of European Emperors.
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

That's a wonderful butterfly David and Jon's image show it in all its glory. Looking forward to seeing some more 'eastern' specialities.
I'm not sure what to make of your comment about he season being a week behind.
I will be in Bulgaria in two weeks time and wonder how the mountain species may be affected.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Barrie. I wouldn't worry too much about Bulgaria. By early July things have usually 'normalised' themselves, relatively speaking.

What you lose in some quarters is compensated for by what you unexpectedly gain, as this north Greece tour proved!
David M

Post by David M »

Iolas Blue

The main reason I didn't pay as much attention as I ought to have done to the Freyer's Purple Emperor was because of a simultaneous event that left me breathless.

The same patch of damp track was playing host to a mint fresh, puddling male Iolas Blue.

I had no idea this species indulged in such habits, and having spent the first morning of the tour seeking them out given that their flight season is on the wane normally by early June, the last thing I was expecting was for recently emerged specimens on 12th June!!

We had to pull some tricks to allow guests to get close to the couple we saw on Day 1, and because I was in charge of pulling the tree branch upon which this Iolas Blue was perched, I had limited time to get my own images. The best I could do was this part-obscured photo:
2.Iolas1(1).jpg
There were no such issues on the damp, woodland track. Several of us sat or even lay down next to this delightful insect which carried on imbibing almost defiantly whilst a conveyor belt of human beings lined up to get close:
2.Iolas2(1).jpg
2.Iolas3(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Common Glider & Large Copper

At least five Common Gliders were seen by the group, but only one individual managed to successfully get an image.

Given that it would represent a lifer for me, I was beginning to detest this butterfly when every time someone shouted "Glider!" it had inconveniently disappeared by the time I arrived.

On the last day, I spent more than half an hour down the woodland ride where a few of us had seen a couple two days before, and I finally got a brief glimpse of one heading upwards into the canopy after someone in front of me had disturbed it.

I stuck around for a while, but soon swiftly departed when another member of the group bumped into me and told me that there were Large Coppers in the clearing where we'd parked the vehicles.

I was astounded by this information since we hadn't seen any there two days previously and wondered whether they were Scarce Coppers instead. Five minutes later I had confirmation that they were indeed dispar:
2.LgeCoppups(1).jpg
2.LgeCoppuns2(1).jpg
2.LgeCoppuns1(1).jpg
I was somewhat shocked by this discovery until I wandered around a bit and found the lhp, water dock, growing in a damper area of this large meadow:
2.Waterdock(1).jpg
It was a touch bittersweet as we had spent the previous morning yomping hundreds of metres along a riverside dyke without finding the butterfly, but knowing it is present in this woodland environment will save time and effort in future years!
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Yes David it was a great tour, with some good surprises :D
David M

Post by David M »

Sure was, John, and that 15 minute spell where we had Large Copper, Iolas Blue and Freyer's Purple Emperor simultaneously will live long in the memory!
David M

Post by David M »

Lattice Brown

This large and rather exotic-looking Satyrid was tricky to photograph last year, given its propensity to skulk around in the shady areas amongst the trees.

This behaviour frustrated me again on the first day, but when I came down for breakfast the following morning, some of the group had commented that they got images easily prior to 8am as the butterflies were flying in the open and settling in convenient locations.

I duly got up a bit earlier the next morning and found that this was correct:
5.Latticeuns1(1).jpg
This male even posed with his wings open:
5.LatticeBrups(1).jpg
A few days later, we had a cloudy and damp morning, and this allowed me to get close to a fresh female:
5.LatticeBrfemuns(1).jpg
It was a common butterfly all week and the area around the hotel was rammed with them.
David M

Post by David M »

Mountain Small White

I've seen this species a couple of times on my travels, but I've never been able to get a proper image of it.

A cloudy spell at the Lailias ski centre saw this female come down to feed and she hung around long enough to have her photo taken:
3.MtnSmWhfem1(1).jpg
3.MtnSmWhfem2(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Tessellated Skipper

We were worried this species may have been at the end of its flight period, but we needn't have been.

We saw a handful at a site near Doirani on the first full day and when we noticed how resplendently fresh they were, we knew that the season was running behind.

It's such a shock to see a Skipper as huge as these behemoths:
6.Tess2(1).jpg
6.Tess1(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Eastern Festoon

A hardcore sign that the season was running late was the appearance of at least four Eastern Festoons, including this beauty which was impeccably behaved, flying just short distances in the meadow to take nectar and allowing very close approaches:
7.EasternFestoon1(1).jpg
7.EasternFestoon2(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Map

Saw plenty of these, all at the same site next to the Bulgarian border.

Not seen the summer form for a few years so they were most welcome:
1.Mapups(1).jpg
I was even honoured with a trousering:
1.Mapuns(1).jpg
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

yes it was a great location :D
David M

Post by David M »

The best woodland location I know of, John. :)
David M

Post by David M »

Blue Argus

Pleased to say there were plenty of these this year, most of which were spanking fresh:
2.BlueArgups(1).jpg
2.BlueArguns(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Balkan Marbled White

A sizeable and impressively marked member of its family, this species seems rather fussy - in most places it's absent, but where it does occur it can be seen in good numbers:
5.BknMbWh(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Woodland Ringlet

Just the one member of the Erebia genus, but there were plenty of them at the bottom of the Lailias ski slope.

A bit of cloud helped bring them down:
5.WdldRglt(1).jpg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Lattice Browns are fantastic, aren’t they. Like you, I’ve always found them on shady tree trunks and the like during the heat of the day.

The early start certainly worked!
David M

Post by David M »

They're fabulous butterflies, Mark Quite different in looks/behaviour to anything else.

Return to “Trip Reports”