Salcey

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
markhows

Salcey

Post by markhows »

I will be going to Salcey in a week or so, will this be a good time for Wood Whites and does anyone have the best area for them or are they widespread.

Thanks

Mark
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Hi Mark
I was at Salcey on 20th May and had a single wood white - I think the first one to be recorded there this year.
Alex
birdy43

salcey

Post by birdy43 »

i like markhows would like to visit salcey forest to see wood white, the forest looks like a large area. does anyone have any info. on traditional sites in the forest, or info from recent visits. this would help me as i have diff. walking after a recent opperation.
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Hi
From my home in Bedford, I drive west on the A422 to Newport Pagnell.
From Newport Pagnell, I take the B526 road in an NW direction passing through Stoke Goldington. After about 5 miles there is a fairly sharp right hand bend with a left turn off the apex, This left turn is clearly marked Salcey Forest. About half a mile along this minor road, there is a clearly marked car park on the left. Walk from here along the path into the forest and you will (hopefully) find wood whites within 500 yards.
Hope this helps. Alex
birdy43

salcy

Post by birdy43 »

thanks alex, this info. sounds great, all i need now is a bit of luck.
birdy43

Re: Salcey

Post by birdy43 »

only a year late with my visit to salsey ha ha,went on 08.06.08 last sun. to look for wood white at site mentioned by alex. found 2, one of them a short distance down the path on the right where it widens and there is a log. the other you go back to the car park cross the road and again a bit further on the left the track widens for a forest entrance with a fence and gate at the back.common blue at both. orange tips flying through.not much else. thanks again alex. Image Image this pic shows upper wing.
markhows

Re: Salcey

Post by markhows »

Am I too late this year?

Mark

Return to “Sites”